Merry Christmas Baby!

Patti was discharged from the hospital the next day with strict orders to stay on bed rest to prevent going into labor early with hopes they could put off the birth for at least a week.  That was all five days ago and it was now Christmas Day.  Patti has done well and had not even gotten out of bed but she was going to break those rules today.  Bruce and Evan helped her up from bed and walked with her down the hall to the living room where the Christmas tree was set up.  She sat down in the corner and put her feet up. 

"Thank you" Patti said with a sigh. 

Christmas was always a big deal with their family.  Between aunts, cousins, and kids they had a house full of laughter.  It was smaller this year though with just the three kids, the new Grand baby, Bruce, herself and their mothers.  Jess was on her way back from picking up the grandmothers now.  Sam walked over to Patti with Vivian sound asleep in her arms.  Smiling Patti reaches out taking her granddaughter. 

"Hello sweet girl, merry Christmas" Patti smiled kissing her forehead gently. 

Sam smiled, "how are you feeling?" 

"Good, best I've felt all week." Patti replied with a reassuring smile. 

"I'm glad," Sam said sitting down next to her. 

"How has our girl been?" Patti asked.

"Good, a little overwhelming for me but between Dad, Jess and you it's been easier." 

"It takes time but you get the hang of it" Patti smiled.

Patti winced slightly, "mom?" Sam looked at her worried and Bruce glanced over.

"I'm fine," Patti said trying to reassure them.

The front door opened and Jess walked in with Patricia and Adele. Patti smiled and looked at her mom who smiled.

"Merry Christmas" Sam said getting up to give them both a hug.

"How are you doing sweetie?" Patricia asked.

"I'm good, it's been a long few days but Viv and I are doing fine." Sam said looking at her mom and Vivian.

"And how are you doing?" Patricia asked.

Patti smiled and nodded feeling emotional again.

"Want to meet Vivian?"

Patricia smiled and took the baby before sitting down. Patti watched her mom with her granddaughter and smiled. She looked at Bruce who was hugging his mom and helping her with her coat.

"Hi Adele" Patti said while Bruce helped his mom over.

"Oh Patti you look wonderful" Adele said.

Patti laughed, "thanks, I don't feel very wonderful." She said looking at her husband who simply shook his head.

One thing Patti loved about living in New Jersey was being so close to her mom again. The two of them had always been close and she missed having someone to talk to. Her mom had given up several years of her life to live with Patti and Bruce when they had three kids all in diapers and potty training. Now she felt she owed her mom, even though she swore she didn't. But it was their Sunday family meals and Christmas that she loved the most. Being able to celebrate with both sides of the family. She adored Adele and she had always welcomed Patti into the family. Now that Evan Jess and Sam we're grown up and living their own lives it was nice to sit as a family under one roof. As usual they all fell into casual conversation, snacking on coffee cake and drinking mimosas and coffee. Patti of course sticking to plain orange juice.