Short Story - Haircut

"Ranka, don't you usually cut your hair at this time of the year?"

Dazai had suddenly dropped the question.

Ranka stopped matting foundation on his skin and turned to look at Dazai lazing on the tatami with a book in his hands. The older man had paused his reading and had his attention on Ranka who was getting ready for work. For once, it wasn't that hideous suicide book.

Ranka took a moment to think. It was true. Ranka used to have long hair and he would always trim it around summer. It was like an annual haircut but last summer, a customer, who paid a large amount of money, wanted Ranka to have short hair. So, Ranka gave up on his long hair and shortened it. Since it was short, he didn't think it was necessary to cut or trim it.

"It's short enough."

His answers were short but to the point.

Dazai hummed, his head still thinking of something.

"Is something wrong?"

Dazai didn't immediately respond. He closed the book he had been reading and sat up, his legs crossed.

"How about I cut your hair?"

Ranka frowned.

"Didn't I just say it was short enough."

"But Ranka, you are so weak to the humidity and to the summer! It's better cut your hair!"

Dazai stood up and pulled reluctant Ranka to do the same.

"Goodness gracious! Your damn hair is longer than mine! And I don't see you complaining!"

Ranka barked while being pushed to the bathroom.

"I am complaining right now, the difference is that I am just complaining about your hair!"

"What's wrong with you?"

Ranka grumbled as he stepped into the bathroom.

Dazai smiled. He found it cute how Ranka complained but still as told. The brunette knew that Ranka really didn't mind having shorter hair. He just liked going against Dazai... even though he always went by Dazai's wishes.

A blanket was wrapped around Ranka's neck and Dazai grabbed a pair of scissors. The older man grabbed a Ranka's fringe. The whole time Ranka was making a disagreeable face.

But Dazai disregarded it and focused on snipping

But Dazai disregarded it and focused on snipping. And snipping away he did.

"So cute~"

Ranka was frowning but even though he was frowning he didn't actually seem to hate it

That was how Ranka hair got shorter that year.