Part 4

<<<<< Rewind <<<<<

A pile of papers slammed on my desk, shaking it and my head as I was lying down taking a nap...whoops, and the desk next to me.

I shot up and looked at the history editor standing next to me. I smiled up to him, wiping the drool from the corner of my mouth.

"I'm so sorry to be keeping you up this afternoon" he remarked, crossing his arms over his chest, "but I need you to research this stone thing."

I picked up the papers and scanned through them, "A perfectly round sphere gem found at the bottom of the hole is believed to date back to 300BC" I read off the newspaper clipping stuck with all the paper, "What?"

He sighed before explaining, "being that old it shouldn't be this perfect sphere. Why? How? What is it? What was it for? I need all this for an article by Friday." He turned in his heel and walked away.

"But that's two days away! And -" I paused and skimmed the article again, "Cambridge is six hours away by train!" I shouted after him before realising what I just said, "CAMBRIDGE!?!"

"You best get moving then" he casually replied before going into his office, door slowly closing behind him.

I quickly searched train times and ran out the office, ran to my little flat and packed a few clothes for the trip. Making my way to the train station I grabbed a coffee and sandwich before swiping my card to pay for the tickets and ran to the platform. I stopped and took a few deep breaths, bending over as I did and closing my eyes. Trying to remember why I took this stupid job in the first place. I glanced at my watch, "3:12. Four minutes to spare." I continued to breathe loudly, sweat starting to form, as I crumbled up against the wall. All the benches were taken of course.

The train arrived and I jumped on finding a seat and setting up camp for my 5 hour 47 minute journey.

A little under three hours into it, I opened my laptop and had a little research about the sphere gem.

"Little is known....300BC....600BC? Old." I continued to read and couldn't really find much about it. Guess I have to talk to people. I hate this part! Archaeologists are awful at interviews and ramble on about every little bit. I just want the "meat" of it all. Not all this fancy pants crap.

"Ah, the Rose Sphere. Exciting it's been found, hey?" Someone said next to me.

I picked my head up to see an oldish gentleman with a notebook next to me, when did he get here? "The what?"

"The Rose Sphere" he pointed to my screen where a picture of the sphere was up, being held by one of the archaeologists, "it's an amazing find."

"I haven't heard it called that. Do you know much about it?"

"It's said that -"

"Hang on." I interrupted him as I got my tape recorder out and notebook, "you don't mind do you?"

"Of course not" he smiled as I hit record and scratched my pen into the notebook, making sure it was working, "it is said that there are four spheres in the world; rose, turquoise, maroon, and iridescent. They are said to be the four gems to bring a united world." I sat and listened carefully, forgetting to make notes. "Many believe they're just some stones. So few believe the united world thing."

"How are they suppose to unite the world?"

"Stories tell of someone worthy to harness the power of the universe to bring on harmony and structure to everything. These are old wives tales of course. But it makes a good bedtime story."

"Yeah...." I mumbled as I thought back to the Power Rangers. Gems? Someone worthy? An energem!?