Stormfly

Astrid's POV

Hiccup was right, everyone wanted to know what Delta had been up to.

Training had just ended and Delta was being swarmed by everyone who saw her. I took this distraction as a chance to get away and go see my new friend, Hiccup.

I left my axe just outside of the cove so that I could grab it later.

When I entered the cove I saw Hiccup facing a Deadly Nadder and they seemed to be... Talking? Hiccup was growling and cooing at the Deadly Nadder. Then Hiccup started laughing. What was going on?

The Deadly Nadder must have told him that I was here because he turned around; "Sorry Astrid, I didn't see that you had arrived. I was so caught up in my conversation with this beautiful Deadly Nadder she is very funny."

"So you were having a conversation with this dragon." The dragon started squawking.

He said to the dragon "I am so sorry." To me, he said, "She doesn't have a family or a name, but she likes you."

"What do you mean she likes me?"

"She just said so. Anyway, the first step is for you to give her a name."

"What do mean by 'the first step'?"

"Just name her, she is being extremely tolerant. Few dragons would've made it this far without scorching you mostly because most dragons are scared of humans."

"Then why isn't she afraid of you?"

"That is a story for another time. This is the last time I am going to tell you. Name her."

"Okay, okay, how about Storm... Fly, Stormfly?" The dragon cocked it's head and squawked something. Hiccup was smiling.

"She likes it, now reach out your hand, if she trusts you she'll put her nose against your hand."

"What!? Are you insane!? She'll kill me!"

"Just do it. You need to trust her to not kill you. Honestly, if she was going to kill you she would've done it by now. You are unarmed." I glared at him but did as he asked. Meanwhile, I was thinking, Please don't kill me, please don't kill me.

Then I felt scales under my hand and when I looked at Stormfly again she was nuzzling against my hand. Hiccup was right. They aren't killers. They are just like us.

"Great let's go flying."

"So are you going to sit behind me, or what?"

"No, I am not going to sit behind you. I am going to call another dragon and give you instructions." A dragon came out of the cave. This time it wasn't a Deadly Nadder, but a dragon as black.. as... Night.

A Night Fury.

"Hiccup, there is a Night Fury standing behind you." He turned and when he saw it he started growling at it. He seemed angry and the dragon was growling back as if it was defending itself.

"You know what. Fine. You can stay. But, I am still mad at you." The dragon made a sound that made it seem like it was saying 'yah, yah'. "Astrid, this is my sister, Moon. Moon, this is my friend, Astrid."

"Wow, you really weren't kidding about Night Furies being your family."

Hiccup's POV

Astrid had just left after I had taught her how to fly Stormfly. We were going to meet in the woods tomorrow after training.

I felt bad for not telling her that I'm half-dragon and that I'm only staying for two months. But, my mind didn't stay with my guilt of telling Astrid only half of the story because it kept straying to the fact that Moon was here too.

I can't believe she followed us here! Ugh, I am so mad at her.

I had started pacing around the clearing when Delta entered the cove. She stopped with her mouth wide open at the sight of the extra dragons.

"Great, just great." She muttered to herself. "When did you get here!? And what are you doing here!?" She asked Moon and Stormfly.

"Today. I thought that was obvious." Replied Moon.

"I am here because of Hiccup, my name's Stormfly."

"Nice, to meet you Stormfly. My name is Delta."

"Well, now that introductions are over with I would like to go flying. But, by all means, stay and chat."

I shifted and took off without looking back to see if they were coming.

It feels so nice to be back in the air. Flying on the back of a dragon is one thing, but flying with your own wings... It's infinitely better.

I soared through the sea stacks and through the clouds. I found myself thinking about Astrid.

What would she say if I told her everything? Would she still be my friend? Or would she go and tell the entire village that I'm in the cove?

What I hadn't realized before I met Astrid, was that I actually needed a friend. Sure, I have plenty of siblings, but everyone needs a friend. I also hadn't realized how much I had missed the companionship of a friend.

Still, I should trust her. If she was going to tell the village she would've done so by now. I mean I've already violated at least a dozen laws. Being on their island; being friends with dragons; not killing a dragon on sight. To name a few.

Nothing could soothe my fear of Berk, not even the fact that she hadn't brought the village down on me or attempted to kill me.

I should tell her. Tomorrow, if she doesn't bring the entire village down on us first.

Astrid's POV

I was lying in my bed wondering about what had happened in the past two days.

Why did he trust me enough to tell me about his parents? Why does Stormfly trust me? I couldn't understand why Hiccup would do these things. I also didn't understand why he seemed so familiar. He said we'd met before but where?

Frankly, I didn't know what to think but I knew that I trusted Hiccup and Stormfly. Somehow I knew they wouldn't hurt me or betray me.

I could also tell that he was hiding something from. Something big. Something that might scare me.

And who is he? Well, besides being Hiccup. Wait... Hiccup? Where have I heard that name before?

Those were my last thoughts before drifting off to sleep.