2 0

Chapter 20: Wallflower; La Giroflée

"Three!"

"Two!"

"One!"

"Happy New Year!"

The crowd burst into cheers as confetti rained from the ceiling. Alex grabbed Avery by the waist, swung her around and leaned her downwards, holding her firmly in place as she kissed her. The freckled girl giggled in their kiss and snaked her arms around Alex's neck, playing in her long hair.

When the brunette brought her up for breath, Avery sighed contently before she smirked. "Have I ever told you that you look so sexy with your hair down?" Sure it wasn't completely down all the way, Alex left that for when they were alone together, but it was in a half-up-half-down style that looked absolutely gorgeous on her and Avery was more than happy with that.

"You may have mentioned it once or twice," the tall girl responded cheekily before tugging the freckled girl's hand towards the dance floor.

  Avery felt a strong sense of déjà vu as she walked through Alex's house weaving around hundreds of sweaty bodies that were dancing against each other. This time, though, it was under different circumstances. For instance, instead of isolating herself on the deck she was inside the party, dancing with her girlfriend.

"Could I get you something to drink first?" Alex asked, voice now raised to be heard above the loud music.

"Sure. But remember, no alcohol!" Avery responded, voice equally as loud.

"Okay, I'll be back. Stay right here!"

The freckled girl nodded before she started to sway in timing with the music, eventually starting to bop and dance around as she enjoyed the beat. One would think Alex had to drag her by the ankles to this New Year's party, but surprisingly it didn't take much convincing. Avery felt as if she was in a good place, her confidence was growing and her anxiety was under control. What would be the harm in following her girlfriend to a party at her own house; a house that she'd been to plenty of times? If it ever became too much, she knew where to find Alex's room and how to get inside Alex's secret room. Most importantly, she knew that the brunette would be right there with her, allowing her to stare into her stunning green eyes.

A few taps on her shoulder caught her attention and she swivelled around to face the offender. Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, it was Carson.

"Hey!" he spoke up so she could hear.

"Hey!" Avery stopped dancing and looked up at him.

"How are you?!"

"I'm good, actually!" she smiled sheepishly, eyes darting to the ground. She was surprised at the lack of guilt that she felt when she said those words. But, they were the truth; she'd been growing and she felt better than she had before.

"Can I talk to you...outside?!"

"I can't. I have to stay here," she could now stop shouting above the music because the song had changed and so had the tempo.

"It'll be for just a quick sec."

"I'm sorry, Carson. You had so many opportunities to talk to me before. You even know where I live," Avery said before turning her back to him in an attempt to end the conversation.

"Please!" He was persistent, she knew that. Carson wasn't one to just give up. If he had been, he wouldn't have made it so far to be the football star that he was. She bit her lip and balled her hands into fists.

"Just a quick chat," he pleaded.

  Maybe it was the pull of the five years of friendship, the desperation in his voice or the compelling urge to tie a neat bow on the package of her story, but she turned back around to face him.