Perhaps I Have a Chance

"You're the only one that listens to me anyway. I don't see why not."
---
Alfred sniffed again before speaking, "I've never told this to anyone before-" A single tear runs down his face, "but I guess I really don't have any choice." He paused, trying to gather all he can of his thoughts.

"It's alright, take your time." Ludwig softly smiles at Alfred, hoping to lift some stress off of him.

"I feel as if everything around me is crumbling, falling out of place," Alfred stutters, trying to control the constant shaking on his voice, "Everyone seems to hate me and the only reason why the others interact with me is for business or to find some way to insult me and bring me down. I've been trying so fucking hard to stay positive, but with all of this, I just can't do it anymore." Alfred could feel himself tense up as new thoughts blared loudly in his mind, "You're saying too much. Just stop talking. He isn't interested in what you are saying. Why would you think that Ludwig actually cares for you, it's quite obvious that he doesn't. Just end it all, you know that you want to. Move the date up, make it today. He's just pitying you, you don't matter. You're useless." Alfred shuts his eyes tightly and shakes his head. Can't those thoughts just go away? Why wouldn't they leave him alone?

Ludwig was shocked to hear this, but he could tell that Alfred wasn't telling the whole story. However, now isn't the time to pry. Now is the time to console the boy in front of him, to show him that at least he cares. To show that he cares about Alfred's wellbeing and health. "Alfred, I understand exactly what you're going through and I want to be there for you. You are worth so much more than you believe and you can't just leave us behind." Ludwig pulls Alfred into a warm embrace, stroking his hair. He could feel him shaking.

There were other things that Ludwig had noticed about Alfred that worried him, like how he had dark bags underneath his eyes, his clothes obviously weren't cleaned for a while, and the last time Alfred had probably showered was about a week ago. He also seemed so much more distant and empty. Alfred isn't taking care of himself and Ludwig could tell, nor was he happy about it. All he could think was, "How can such a smart, charming, and sweet person such as Alfred be reduced to nothing? He hasn't done anything recently. All he wants to do is help." Ludwig helped Alfred to his feet, grabbing some paper towels from the dispenser and wiping the tears away from Alfred's face, "It should be break right now, so it would probably be a good idea to find you some water and something to eat."

Alfred gave a small smile at this kind gesture, "Thank you. Thank you for being the only person to ever listen to me."

Ludwig gave Alfred a big smile,"You're welcome. I will always be one text or call away if you need me."

---

Ludwig watched as Alfred walked away from the restroom. Then he felt something that he hadn't felt in a while: A need to protect Alfred. A need to care and love him. Was it possible that Ludwig could actually be in love with Alfred?

---

The dreaded meeting finally ended and all Alfred could think about was Ludwig's kindness. That definitely wasn't something that he encountered on a day to day basis, but it sure was welcomed.

Alfred soon arrived home and instead of going straight to that pencil sharpener on his desk, he went straight to the bathroom. It was about time, maybe it was the light flutters in his chest or the fact that he had been shown decency for the first time in a while, but whatever it was, Alfred knew that he wanted to be around the German more often.

For the first time in a while, Alfred felt like he was on cloud nine, but of course, this wouldn't last for long. Alfred knew this, but ignored that and embraced what he had. Laundry was done and he finally took a shower. "Maybe, just maybe I have a chance with someone."

---
(A/N)

Sorry for not updating in a while, I've been busy with other things and school starts up again this week but this is the only fanfiction that I actually want to write and that I actually enjoy writing. So I'll try to update when I can. Thanks for reading!

-V. Allistair