ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᵗʷᵒ

Kassandra Burgess was pretty. She had a cute face and a smile painted to her lips all the time. She hid her eyes behind thick dark glasses so no one would be scared of her. And it all worked that way. She was loved in her new family with the people that she called mom and dad now. And Matthew and Kiara lived up to their role as parents. They gave everything they could to Kassie and she couldn't be happier. She considered her life to be absolutely perfect. And the black hole on her soul of losing her best friend was forgotten. She could actually be happy. The best in the Bible study, the best in school. And every boy wanted to be with her as she was becoming a woman. And she learned to ride. That was probably the thing she loved to do the most as the horses always gave her comfort. The chestnut colored gelding with the big white blaze on his head that reached over his eye coloring it blue was her favorite. And that was why she loved him so much because he had the same eyes as she did.

On a Wednesday she had put a bridle on the head of the gelding to ride him to the market as her parents made her get groceries. Her dark glasses rested on her nose so she could avoid weird looks. She already caught enough attention by riding a horse all by herself. But in the village they all knew and loved her. And so did she. She loved the villagers and had always a smile on her lips. She swung the saddle on the back of the animal as well before mounting him. On the little hack towards the middle of the village she greeted several people with a wide smile. Her thoughts trailed often into the past when she was riding. Mostly to Henry not to her family. The happy memories of him were more powerful than the pain she felt ten years ago. She even drew him many times. The only pictures she would hang up in her room. She wasn't sure if she remembered correctly his face but she tried. He was always there in her heart somehow. But she wouldn't change her situation ever. She loved the Burgess' and their place, their old grumpy cat with the long fur and the several horses they owned. They just had them because Matthew was a passionated breeder. He made thoroughbreds mostly. And most of them were worth at least 1000 schilling. But that was just his hobby he actually worked as a farrier and black smith in their village. Kiara was simpler. She came from the countryside not like Matt who came from a rather wealthy family but he never mentioned or visited anyone except his favorite cousin who used to live in Birmingham not far from their home if you go by car. But Kiara always wanted to stay in her simple village and keep the books for a local factory how she did since she got their house from her grandma. Kassie felt so sorry for her that she couldn't get children so she tried her best being her absolutely best self. And she was a good child. Kassie was her best self.

She arrived the market in short time and tied her horse to an wooden thing that looked like a very solid railing. Maybe it also just was a solid railing but she tied him always there and no one ever said anything. Before she could actually get the first vegetables she was already tied into a conversation by Mason Flechter. But soon she freed herself with a good excuse and got her groceries. She didn't needed apples though because her family was rather close to the Johnston's even though she never met them. Carrots and potatoes along with tomatoes rested in the bags on her arms as someone pumped hard into her. It was so hard that she fell into the dirt her groceries rolling around the market. The taller shadow in front of her hadn't landed on the floor. Kassie couldn't see him really because of the sun but she saw that he was about the same age as her.

"It's very impolite to bump into a lady and then don't help her up" she sassy still sitting on the floor flashed from the situation.

"Katarina" The boy only said paralyzed as he kept staring at her. Her blood ran cold of the sound of the voice. She hurried to stand up to have a closer look at the boy.

"Henry?" She asked breathless as she looked into his ocean eyes. They had a weird color. Green and blue at the same time somehow. Before she could realized it he pressed her into a thigh hug sobbing a little.

"I thought I lost you" He whispered into her hair as he pressed her small frame towards himself. And boy he didn't wanted to ever let go of her again. She was completely overwhelmed by the situation and wanted to cry tears of joy. Because that was what felt; pure joy. As they let go of each other the had both tears in their eyes. She couldn't resist the urge to cup his cheek with one hand. She smiled as he leaned in slightly. He had grown up a lot. It was a wonder that she still recognized him.

"Miss Burgess" Mister Fletcher broke them out of their staring contest as he handed her back her groceries that went stray over the place.

"Oh thank you very much... I was..." She started awkwardly removing her hand from Henry's cheek. The man just smiled before he headed back to his family. Kassie caught the vicious eyes of Josie Fletcher that seemed to burn her flesh. Was it because of Henry? Probably because he was a unbelievable handsome young lad now. He always was that was also why she had shared her very first kiss with him. But that was now on another level. He was soon to marry and it hit Kassie like a rock.

"I can't believe it. Can you slap me so I can be sure that I'm not dreaming" He mumbled as he looked down at the sweet girl. She grew up a lot as he did. As he asked she slapped him slightly as she snickered.

"I'm real and so are you to hopefully" She mumbled dreamily as she kept her eyes observing every of his new or old features.

"C'mon I'll walk you home wherever that is because you own a lot of explanations"