Day 2: Roppongi

Roppongi, Tokyo

(10:16pm)

Mikihito was acting weird. He was too stiff.

"Are you sure you don't want anything else?" he asked me.

I glanced at the amount of food and drinks laid out in front of us, then I turned to him and shook my head as I smiled.

"I think we're good, Mikihito-kun."

He returned my smile. "Let me know if you want something."

I nodded. "Hai, arigatou." Okay, thank you.

Mikihito's eyes traveled to Jin Yeong, and his demeanor immediately changed. The usual easy-going friend of mine was alert and cautious, as he watched my guest.

When I received the call from Mikihito earlier, I had no idea what to do. He was supposed to be my backup plan. But then Jin Yeong kissed me and somehow that changed everything.

Where did we go from here?

It wasn't like I could go off with Jin Yeong. My father would hunt us down. Not to mention, the Triple Tigers might feel insulted and end up helping the clans in looking for us.

The bright side from all of that was, they'd have to work together and that could lead to an alliance. The down side was, they'd kill Jin Yeong and I'd still be forced into marriage.

There was no win-win.

"Where did you guys meet?" asked Mikihito.

I was supposed to meet him alone and ask for his advice, but Jin Yeong insisted on coming along. I couldn't stop him.

"I met him when I went to Seoul on my solo trip three years ago," I answered, so Mikihito could focus his eyes on me instead of Jin Yeong.

My Korean friend (boyfriend?) kept silent, his sharp eyes not leaving Mikihito as if trying to read his every move. I didn't want a fight to start between them. If Mikihito thought Jin Yeong was a threat... I didn't even want to think about it.

"You never mentioned him," remarked Mikihito.

Not to you.

Shrugging, I replied, "I was too caught up with the bomb Papa dropped on me back then that the subject never came up."

Jin Yeong's eyes finally left Mikihito, and switched to me. He raised his chin, and I caught a tiny smirk playing along his lips. It was very subtle, but I was able to comprehend what he was trying to say.

What, did he really expect me to talk about him to everyone I know?

He crossed his arms, while his head tilted. "Have you been friends long, Oshiro-san?" He was asking Mikihito, but his eyes stayed on me.

Ugh, this guy. Don't tell me he's jealous?

"Ten years," answered Mikihito, with a little hint of pride.

I recalled meeting him for the first time. It was right before I went on to high school. I was sent to Japan to be introduced to all the clans.

See, my mother died when I was little. She was kidnapped by the enemy and held hostage to threaten my father into giving up some assets. When he was about to give in, she found a way to kill herself while being held captive. She didn't want him to betray the clans for her.

If he did, the whole Takeshi clan would die.

So she sacrificed herself.

After that, me and my older brother were sent to the Philippines for our safety. We trained and studied hard from afar. When we were strong enough, we went back to Japan and took part in the family business.