Chapter 38

Ian woke to a throbbing in his temples and the sound of a shrill chime in his ears. He slapped at the nightstand until his hand closed around the flashing rock. He had to resist the strong urge to hurl it across the room. Instead, he lifted the pscry and spoke with a parched voice, "He-Hello?"

"Bright dawn, Gent McClintoc," The voice and face of one of the twin elves who managed the inn greeted him. "Your companions have asked me to rouse you; they are awaiting you in the dining area."

"Alright, yeah. Be down, minute," Ian muttered and dropped the crystal back on the table.

It took another two calls, and Roland threatening to come up and get him before Ian stumbled out of his room. He rode the floortal down and zombie walked across the lobby, waving weakly to whichever twin was behind the desk. She waved back and giggled, "Long night Gent?"

Ian grunted and kept moving until he fell into a chair. His friends, who had long since finished their own breakfasts, stared at him in amusement. Roland offered Ian a drink, which he took on reflex, gulping it down without so much as registering the taste. Ian had come in mid-conversation, and Ban was relating a joke to Roland judging by the mages grin.

"As I was saying, he comes out of the store dressed from head to toe in silver," Ban said pointing to Ian now that he'd arrived, "He's even got a tiara on. And Balder be my witness, he punches the werewolf right in the jaw with no fear in his heart." Ban burst out into laughter struggling to finish the tale. "And- and, then the werewolf sends him flying across the street with the most hilarious look of surprise I've ever seen. It even topped the time you realized your date to the kingdom's spring festival was a shapeshifter!"

Roland went from laughing at Ian's misfortune to bristling at Ban's comment. "You said you'd never speak of that again!"

"Look where I'm from the mythology on werewolves says they are highly vulnerable to silver. I figured it was worth a shot," Ian said with a frown, going back to nursing his hangover. He set about making up a plate of fruits and breads spread out on the table. Eventually, the topic changed from the humorous results of Ian's brilliant I-know-exactly-what-I'm-doing idea to the job at hand. Obtaining the Star Chart.

"Ban, you know the layout of the office and are still a member of staff, right?" Ian asked.

"I am, there are laws and steps that must be followed before I can be removed from my position," Ban said, folding his arms across his broad chest, "But it would still be very dangerous for any of us simply walk in the front door. You don't quite seem to grasp the Court's influence and power. They are centuries old organization of master manipulators. Though, as you've said we don't have any more appealing options."

"Alright then," Ian said, then he turned to Roland. "I need to be there since I'm the only one who knows what my world looks like. Which means we need a distraction. That's where the mage comes in, and I already have a plan. Stop me if any of this isn't possible..."

......

After a lengthy discussion, Ian found himself with some free time. They'd crafted a sound plan to get back into Justiciar Law and get the Star Chart from within. Roland and Ban went to prepare and procure the items they'd need for tonight. But with Ian unable to help, he decided to take in the sights of the city one last time.

Ian dug around in his belt pouch and withdrew his phone. He'd turned it off for most of this bizarre journey, but it was still intact, the Apoca-case working as advertised. When his phone turned on he found the battery bar was well above half. Good enough. He snapped some pictures of the gardens. He even filmed a short video of the local shops and the colossal tree houses. Making a mental note to get a group photo before he left.