Roots

Dick always loved the idea of soulmates. His parents had a pair of birds that danced up their arms. Dick thought they were beautiful. But Dick loved his own more. It was a massive soulmark, spanning from the base of his neck to the small of his back and from shoulder to shoulder. An elegant fire colored bird curled it way up his spine, with its wings spread across his shoulder blades. Lightning bolts traced it's way down the bird's wings and tail. The feathers were intricately detailed, gradienting from a bright yellow to a fiery red. The bird's eyes held a determined glare, making it look strong and fierce. All in all, it was one of the most impressive soulmarks those within the circus has ever seen.

He couldn't wait to meet his match. Whoever it was must be amazing, to give Dick such a large and gorgeous mark.

His mom told his that the elements in his marks meant that he and his soulmate were going to be together for a long time. They were going to have an exciting time together. They were going to fly together. Dick shivered in excitement.

His mom said it was a thunderbird. Or lightningbird. They both worked. She said that Dick was her little Robin, her little bird. They meant his soulmate was the thunder or lightning half right?

Either way, Dick was in love with his soulmate before they even met.

Wally didn't care much for soulmates. His parents were soulmates, but they never really talked to each other. They barely talked to him as well. Made Wally wonder why fate thought that his parents were supposed to complete each other. Maybe soulmates were just random. Wally didn't know.

There were platonic soulmate relationships too, maybe his parents just misinterpreted their tiny matching gears on the back of their hands. Wally didn't care or knew.

However, he has seen Iris and Barry, and Wally had to admit that fate did and amazing job with those two. His Uncle Barry and Aunt Iris fit together like perfect jigsaws, complementing each other perfectly. Wally loved them. They had matching red and yellow jagged designs that wrapped around their upper arms, and Wally seen them. It was a beautiful design, although Wally didn't understand what it represented.

Wally has seen his fair share of failed soulmate and successful soulmates, and those pairs that were somewhere in the middle. So, not sure if soulmarks were good or bad, Wally settled with not caring about soulmarks or soulmates.

His aunt and uncle were in awe of Wally's own mark, and Wally had to admit that his was cool. It was one of the biggest he's ever seen and it was awesome-looking. Like, this was something he would probably love to show off if it wasn't considered as something extremely personal.

Then Wally found out about Barry being the Flash and soulmates became an afterthought. Well, first Wally had an epiphany about his aunt and uncle's soulmark, then stopping thinking so much about soulmates. His uncle was a superhero!

Wally recreated the experiment and, Wally was a superhero! But then, the lightning bolts on his soulmark made so much more sense. But soon his mind was consumed with the thoughts of going faster, getting stronger and joining his Uncle Barry on the field.

It was going to be their first beach day. Wally was obviously the first to be ready, lounging on the couch in his swimming trunks and array of beach toys strewn on the floor around him. He was scrolling through his phone when the next person to be ready popped into the common room.

"Hey Walls," Robin, donned in a swim shirt and trunks and his typical sunglasses, greeted and sat down next to Wally.

Wally grinned at his best friend, "Yo, what's with the shirt? Don't you want to show off for the ladies? Or maybe you can't handle the sun?"