Bud

Hanahaki didn't do much for another year or so. At least nothing a few painkillers couldn't handle. But Dick had already begun hacking up full chrysanthemums by this point and it was getting worse. But it was a year of watching Wally and Artemis get close, a year of smiling and being happy for the couple despite the black hand of jealousy clutching at his heart. But Wally and Artemis made each other happy, which made Dick happy, so he was truly happy for them.

Dick was sitting by himself in his room holding a little Kid Flash doll this little girl had given him on his last mission, telling him "It's not as good as the real thing, but you'll love him, right? You need it more than me."

Robin had cried and hugged the little girl and accepted the doll. Honestly, ten-year-olds are a lot more perceptive than anyone ever gave them credit for.

It was a well-made doll, the stitches all hidden and stuffed evenly. The suit was a close match but Dick could see that they missed some details, like the black lightning bolt on the waist and red line below Kid Flash's chin. But the doll had cute green button eyes and a dopey sewn-on smile that Dick let out a small huff of laughter at. It was this stupid kind of cute that reminded Dick of the real Kid Flash. And Dick thought, maybe this was enough.

~

There was a nasty gash on Dick's back and everyone knew it was there. But for some reason, Robin was refusing any treatment, saying he'll do it by himself, in his room.

"Rob, please! It might get infected!" Wally reached out to Dick, who just wedged himself more into the corner of the bioship.

"NO! I'm fine," Dick lashed out, fear curling in his stomach and petals tickling in his throat as Wally watched him with those concerned green eyes. But Artemis had a comforting hand on Wally's shoulders and Wally placed one of his own over hers that served as a cruel reminder to the reason of the flowers in his lungs.

Wally was getting aggravated, "You're not fine! You're freaking bleeding out on the floor, Rob! Just stop with the tough guy act and let us help you!"

Robin just merely closed his eye to stop the onslaught of tears that welled up and violently shook his head. Finally, he let out a quick whisper, "No, please, just leave it alone."

Wally sensed that there was something deeper about this than just a cut and Dick trying to act tough and with a pained face, backed way with Artemis following.

Dick coughed up two bloody flowers.

~

"What the hell, Dick?" Jason looked so distraught and worried and scared and Dick felt really bad, well worse than he already was feeling. Jason was gripping Dick's arm to keep the older teen from falling over as flowers and petals fell from Dick's mouth into the toilet.

They were home alone and Jason had run in to check on Dick when Dick had knocked over a few bottles of shampoo in the tub, causing a huge commotion. Jason had run into the scene of Dick clutching the edge of the toilet, making horrible rattling coughing sounds and as Jason approached, saw that Dick was hacking up blood. Blood and flowers.

The episode finally calmed down and Dick fell back to lean against the bathroom wall, wiping away the blood from the corner of his mouth. Too weak and in pain to speak, he just pulled Jason into him and held him there. Jason was crying. Oh god, Jason was crying. Then Tim was standing at the doorway as well. His face was betraying the horror and fear and concern and shit. Tim was about to cry as well.

"Who is it?" Jason whispered into Dick's shirt. "Dick, who is it?"

Dick didn't reply, he just shook his head.