15

Kate

I can't say being knocked out does wonders for any migraine problems you may have, so I don't suggest it. I felt the pounding in my head before I opened my eyes. In time with my heartbeat. I could see light beyond my eyelids and it just made it worse. I groaned and brought my arm over my eyes to try and shield a little of the light. It helped a little. I took a deep breath and tried to talk myself into sitting up or opening my eyes. Maybe both if I was feeling brave enough.  

There was a slight pressure on my stomach, warm. I reached down to see if I could feel it out, my movements feeling sluggish and my muscles sore from lack of use. My fingers brushed hair, I think. Soft and long. I feel my eyebrows furrow. 

Curiosity got the best of me, and  I managed to convince myself to open my eyes. I'm propped up on a pillow, on some not-very-comfortable-couch. Morning sunlight was streaming through a window behind it right into my face. It was warm, but the brightness made the throbbing in my head worse and I winced. I propped myself up high enough to look down at myself, I wasn't physically damaged anywhere other than my head, and I saw that Liz had fallen asleep leaning against the couch. Using my stomach as a pillow. I felt a small smile work it's way onto my face as I watched her there for a moment, content to watch her breathe. She was mostly on the floor, and it had to be uncomfortable. I imagined that she would be sore when she woke up. I wanted to at least have her on the couch, but I didn't want to wake her up. She looked exhausted, even in her sleep. There were dark circles under her eyes, and I could tell she was in a pretty deep sleep. So I sat up as gently as I could, trying not to jostle her. She made a small noise in her sleep and shifted, but otherwise she stayed asleep.  

I frowned as I looked closer. She was wearing different clothes, my clothes actually. There was a small amount of blood staining  her shirt on her side, and there was a bruise that had formed on her cheek. There were a few cuts and scrapes everywhere else as well. Aggravation shot through my as I remembered what that was probably from. The men who had snuck up on us. They'd knocked me out and then I could only assume that Liz had gotten beat up a little as well. I felt guilt, it felt like my job to make sure she was safe. I know that she can look after herself, but I still feel like I should try my best. I must have still been groggy as well, because I reached out to touch the bruise lightly without even thinking about how I didn't like to touch people. Just for a moment I forgot about the pounding in my head and the men who had tried to kill us and the apocalyptic mayhem that had been going on, even the not-very-comfortable couch, because Liz looked perfect right then. The sunlight didn't hit her face, but it highlighted her features in a soft way that made me want to keep touching her.  

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when I hear the front door shut. I jump at the noise, startled and filled with a sudden panic. Liz is jerked awake by my sudden movement and so she sits bolt upright. The sleep is still clouding her eyes as she looks around the room in a faintly panicky and I feel guilty that I'd disturbed her previously peaceful rest. I'm suddenly wondering how we'd gotten away from the two men if I'd been out cold and Liz had been on her own. My question is answered as a tall, young man walks into the room. I feel myself bristle at the sight of him, but I'm distracted as Liz makes a noise that I think means she's happy, and I'm tackled backwards on the couch by a hug, Liz practically laying down on top of me with her arms around my neck. I'm not given much of a choice but to return the hug. So I slip my arms around her waist and squeeze her gently. Not that I can say I mind. She's warm and comforting. 

She murmurs quietly into my shoulder and the fluttering returns as the smell of her soothes the panic I'd been feeling a moment before. I'm beginning to not really mind the fluttering, either.