22

Liz

Everything was going really nicely.

Then all hell broke loose.

Now I'm in this tiny white room, I don't know where Kate is, my head is pounding from where I was struck earlier when I fought against being separated from her, and I have no idea what is going on. Well. I know that Jason betrayed us. The guy just kept getting better and better.

Everything just keeps getting better and better.

I've also just woken up on the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever experienced in my entire life.

She'd been so close.

Kate got shot with something. It wasn't a bullet, it couldn't have been. There hadn't been much blood. She passed out.

Is she dead?

Is she okay?

They took her.

My head hurts.

The Room is so white.

I think she was going to kiss me.

Jason betrayed us.

I feel hatred boil up in my stomach.

I knew Kate didn't like him, and I knew something not quite right was happening with him when he didn't help her.

For one overwhelmingly selfish moment I think, why me? Then I mentally slap myself and pull it together.

My chest squeezes with anxiety and I am trying my hardest not to break down in tears right there. I can't break down. Kate did this for the majority of her life and I've only been here for a few hours. I can do it. Right?

I jump as I hear screaming. Not the infected screams that I'd grown somewhat accustomed to. Screams of pain. Screams of agony. I wonder momentarily if it's Kate. Nausea rolls over me and I basically throw myself off the bed over to a tiny white bin that I assume is for trash. Everything I've eaten in the past little twelve hours comes up as my stomach heaves violently with anxiety. Admittedly it's not much. I skipped eating the squirrel. But it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and leaves me feeling queasy and unsettled. I'm shaking a little now too.

The anxiety doesn't leave either. But I can't cry. Not now. This would be a really awful time to break down and cry. So I take a shaky breath and try to calm myself down. I force those emotions into a little box and struggle to close it. Then figuratively shove it into a dark corner.

I know exactly where I am by this point.

After Kate had been shot down, this helicopter had come out of nowhere. It can't have been far to begin with because I would have heard it coming. I recognize it though. The one I saw when Kate and I were at the barn. It has the same logo on the side. The one we had seen flying over the city in the distance.
It had landed not far away and all these people in a mix of lab coats and something like security uniforms had poured out if it and towards us.
I didn't run like Kate had told me to, either. I stayed by her side and lashed out at anyone who tried to touch her because I knew what was happening.
I'd been subdued quite easily I think. Jason had come up behind me and pulled my arms roughly behind my back. Growling lowly into my ear.

"Such a shame, I really liked you."

I'd bitten his hand when he tried to caress my jaw.

He swore at me and shoved me to my knees, where he then tied my wrists and picked me up. I squirmed as I was swung over his shoulder like nothing more than a sack of flour. I'd hit my head on the door of the helicopter and I am ninety percent sure that he did it on purpose.