32 - Anger Management

Jai-Jai shook the water off. Stepping out of the lake, she was grateful for the coming winter. The cold kept the dragon inside in check, giving her a chance to cool down. The sun had long set, and no one had come to look for her yet. The distant twinkling of torches being lit multiplied. The treck down the mountainside wasn't long, but Jai-Jai wished it would last hours. Why are we continuing on this suicide mission? Shouldn't we follow Sen and find Mara?

"Because that fool of a vampire ensured we were bound to finish it."

Since he's left, wouldn't the limits of where we were allowed to wander stretch with him?

"He wasn't part of the original contract, so, unfortunately, that's a dead-end idea.

Stupid vampire.

"Tell me about it."

Fauns gave her funny glares as she walked through Portstown. They didn't seem to appreciate people who talked to themselves. Small hands grabbed the back of her shirt and tugged. Jai-Jai's arm shot out and tried to grab the nearest thing to stop from falling backwards. But, there was only air to grasp, and Jai-Jai promptly landed on the ground. It was a cloudless night, and the sky was bright with stars.

Children giggled above her. They spoke at the same time, "A bheil thu ceart gu leòr?"

"I don't understand you," said Jai-Jai sourly. For some reason, the little fauns found it funny to push people over. "Can't you leave me alone? Don't you have someone else to bother?"

Their hairy legs came into view, hooves hopping gleefully. "Cluich còmhla rinn," they chanted.

"Shoo, children. Dèan ullachadh airson dinnear." Europa swatted away the pouting fauns. "I'm sorry. They snuck into our sugar reserves and will be bouncing with much energy for hours."

"Fun." Wiping off the dust from her bottom, Jai-Jai picked herself up.

A heavy hand slapped her back. "Finally, ye show up. When Kraneia said ye were takin' the news hard a didn't realise how hard. Ye were gone fer hours."

"Rhistel, always the warm welcome." Jai-Jai shrugged her hand away.

Twig fluttered next to the elf. With every bat of her wing, fairy dust rolled off. The specks of dust glowed in the dark and disappeared as it fell to the ground. "The ship has docked, and Atlas has agreed to introduce us to the captain. Someone else was supposed to do the negotiations, but we're on our own after...anyway, we've been warned that a hefty price will be expected for our passageway. should expect a hefty price for our passageway."

"Traders havenna been known fer givin' away things for free. But, Jai-Jai, could we talk fer a wee moment." Rhistel looked at Twig. "Alone."

The other two took the hint and went away. Jai-Jai had half a mind to do the same when Rhistel gently touched her arm. "What's with all this touching? I don't like it." She backed up, but the elf only came closer.

Rhistel's voice was quiet, but harsh, "Was it fer ye?"

"Was what for me?"

"The burning, Tanvell. It makes no sense tae attack for no reason. Was it fer ye?"

Taking the defensive, Jai-Jai crossed her arms. "Of course not."

"Am sorry, but I cannae believe ye. There's no way fer mud humans tae make it all tha' way, first, unseen. And second, burning it to a crisp with nae a wee bit o' magic."

"My aunt has bigger things to do than burn cities just to call me out." No, she doesn't. Liar.

Sweat dripped down Rhistel's brow. She was heating up, and Jai-Jai couldn't help but feel accused. "Ye never did answer, why are ye here? Why are ye helpin' us? Dragons-"