The case...

---------------------------------------------------------
Hey dears,
So, I have new POVs here. Hope you enjoy it.
---------------------------------------------------------

"Is it really him interfering in this matter?" The chief constable asked his senior.

"Yes, he had called the Superintendent yesterday. Apparently he did not like the way we handled the affair."

"But we did the right thing, it was the regular procedure. She had killed the man and she deserved punishment."

"Yeah, we did the right thing alright. It's just that it's not in our hands to challenge him, considering how important he is."

The chief constable, Rodrick was still not satisfied with the answers he received. As a member of the police, it was his duty to protect the law and he would do everything within his power to do so.

The case in hand was pretty simple and the police had done what was right. It was clear that the girl had killed the man, they had found her fingerprints on the knife. Also, the she still had the knife in her hand when the police arrived. Some neighbours had reported to the police that the house had been deathly quiet for three days.

The girl had been lying in the corner of the room, near the door with the blood-covered knife still in her hands, she looked weak, starved even. The man had been dead for four days now. He died as soon as the knife tore through his chest, no man could survive that kind of attack, especially one that was lying on his deathbed.

That was only strange thing in this case, Mr. Lombard had little time to live, the cancer was killing him. So why did the girl have to kill him? Everyone had wondered the same thing.

When they tried asking the girl about what had happened, she did not answer. Her eyes looked lost somewhere far away. It had been two weeks since the police had imprisoned her in the local prison of Whodem, a small town. She had not spoken a word in these few weeks. They didn't even know if she could speak or not. For days, she did not even eat food because she did not trust anyone in the police station but after a while, she made a sort of bond with Ms. Eliath, the chief of detectives. The detective said it's a woman's bond, something every woman understands, a common trauma unites them. Slowly, the girl began eating and would look up from the corner of the cell from where she barely ever moved.

Ms. Eliath tried questioning her but to no avail. She still wouldn't speak. Ms. Eliath said the girl was frightened. She was afraid by everything and everyone around her. Something in her demeaner suggested to the detective that she had been a victim of abuse. There were marks on her body that supported this assumption.

Rodrick sometimes felt pity for this girl, she was almost like a frightened animal that got out of its cage but doesn't know how to survive in the wild. She was still a murderer though.

They didn't know her name yet. They had tried questioning her but all they got were more stares and deep hurt eyes. All they knew about this girl was that the Lombard fellow had taken her in almost two decades ago, she had lived with him ever since and that she did not come out of the house, ever. This was all the neighbours, friends and relatives of Mr. Bernand Lombard had to say. It was apparent that nobody knew much about either of them.

There were no papers stating that Mr. Bernand had adopted a child or that he had been given the guardianship of the child. His records were clean, a good honest man, once a military General. He had served in a couple of wars and had finally been sent home due to an accident that involved a bullet wound to his left leg.

There was not much backstory of the dead guy and there was no information about the murderer. The case was a peculiar one, that Rodrick agreed with.

And solving the crime was no big mystery, all the facts were served on a silver platter and all the police had to do was make a case on the murderer or declare a death penalty or imprisonment. It was not the 'how' but the 'why' that did not make any sense. The case had been taken care of until the day before when a very important call came by the Superintendent yesterday and he took the case in his hands.

He gave no reason as to why he was doing this or what he thought of the matter, apparently all he had said was to hand over the girl to him and he will do what is right. He expected the others to have no questions or doubts.

Rodrick always hated authority and while he was angry at such a display of power, there was a part of him that was actually relieved to see that the girl was finally off his hands.

Whenever he looked at the girl, his heart was filled with pity and something else he could not exactly place. He remembered the first time he had seen her, lying in the corner. He remembered the look she had given him when he had picked her up from the ground. It was a mixture of loathing, disgust and fear. And that fear was not directed towards him or the dead body lying on the bed, it was something else entirely. There was something about her that made you question yourself, something almost magnetic. Rodrick could not help but feel pity for her. If he could go back in time and fix this, he would save the girl first.

                              *****

The superintendent was a simple man with a simple life. He looked over a tiny town where crime was a few robberies in a year. The people were calm and no thugs or gangs roamed the streets. Police work, therefore, was slow and without much circumstance. That was, until today.

The case in hand was pretty simple and it went something like this: a middle age man adopts a girl without legal permit or documents, they stay together for many years, the girl rarely gets out of the house and the neighbors don't hear much from either of them. One day, when the man was lying on the bed, the girl brings a knife and kills him. The one thing that the superintendent could not digest was the condition of the man.

The man had been diagnosed with leukemia and was about to die, the experts' opinion, it was clear that he was about to die anyways and considering his situation, apparently there was someone who was taking care of him. He couldn't have moved on his own.

The motive, that was another fishy part. The girl did not have any reason to kill the man. According to his will, all his property goes to an orphanage, he didn't have any living relatives or connections with any female except the girl for that matter and the man lived a quiet life, making time for some parties with his pals from the military every month. Mr. Lombard was a simple man and everyone thought highly of him. No direct contacts and friends of his knew about the girl and he did not have a family. Reports suggest he was an orphan and had grown up in an orphanage until he joined the military when he was 17.

The police department had arrested the girl and were about to charge her for murder when yesterday, the superintendent received a call from someone that made his blood run cold.

After the phone call, the superintendent was both anxious and confused. Anxious because the interference of such a huge name meant that this case was bigger and more complex than he thought it was and confused because how could a man of such power care for such a worthless girl.

He tried to reason with so many scenarios but none of them suited the situation. He had called the police department and asked them to stop any procedures related to the case and wait for the higher authorities to override their protocol.

The superintendent knew one thing for sure, that he was going to spend a lot of sleepless nights over this case.

                              *****

---------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone,
I know that it was a small chapter but it was surely a start after a long long time. So, in the next chapter I promise that I'll show Sebastian.... And the well, conditions of his life now... And we'll get some back story about him. That's all I have to say for now. Thank you so much. Please comment, vote and follow:)

Yours,
Riya J
---------------------------------------------------------