Chapter Fourteen

"That was her magic:
she could still see the sunset
even on those darkest days.
"
Atticus

"When I was still very young," Bri starts, looking down ashamed, "I lived in Sweden with my parents. They were killed, and I was taken in by Kit, who I thought of as an aunt. Kit died in a car accident that happened in my preteens, because I felt death and screamed."

Damon walks over to Bri, placing his hand on her shoulder comfortingly, realising how hard this was to retell, as well as putting the pieces together in his head.

"Turns out Kit is actually Katherine," Bri summarises, "She was sent to kill me, she killed my parents, and then decided against killing me and took me in."

Stefan, Elena, and Bonnie are shocked by Brianna's confession.
"Why didn't you recognise Elena then?" Stefan asks, an aggravated undertone to his question.
"Because in the accident, I took a hard hit to the head," Bri explains, "I was diagnosed with retrograde amnesia, and could only remember some things, like Kit being a brunette, reading comics with her, and her telling me that my parents were killed by a vampire, and that was why we were constantly on the move."

"Well," Elena asks sharply, "when did you find this out?"
"When I was dead," Bri says, causing everyone's eyes to widen, Bonnie's more so than anyone else.

"It was shown to me by my ancestor," Bri offers, "Nattmara decided it was time to fill me in on who I actually am."

"Katherine doesn't care about anyone but herself," Stefan says annoyed, "so why would she take you in?"
"I'll have to ask her," Bri responds sarcastically, annoyed by the question.
"Why didn't you tell us when you woke up?" Elena asks, annoyance and confusion obvious in her tone of voice.

"First of all, I thought you guys would turn on me," Bri says softly, before adding, "And secondly, I thought Caroline was more important than this."

"More important than you having a relationship with Katherine?" Elena asks angrily.
"Yes," Bri responds, attempting to remain calm, "I thought that a friend at death's door was more important than my past that died in that accident."

"You should have told us as soon as you woke up," Stefan exclaims, causing Damon to look at him in shock.
"She was too busy saving your brothers life when you and I couldn't," Bonnie bites back, causing everyone to look at her in shock.
"Bri found out Katherine killed her parents, but all you two are worried about is the fact that she was cared for by Katherine," Bonnie continues, shaking her head, "Bri died, saw a past she didn't even know happened, came back to life, and you guys are blaming her?"

Damon nods his head, "For once, I agree with witchy."

"She should have told us," Elena exclaims quietly, causing Bri to frown.
"You two realise I did just tell you," Bri says, now annoyed and snippy, "I've been awake for less than a day. You have no clue what it's like, hearing your own name echoing through your head, telling you you're going to die. You don't know what it's like to find out someone you held in your heart was not who you thought they were. You don't know what it's like to die, just to watch your parents get killed by someone you loved. You have no idea what I've gone through in these last 24 hours alone."

Bri takes a step closer to the couple with every new sentence, on the brink of tears, before stating, "Have a little compassion."