Chapter Fifty-One

"Well, here at last, dear friends,
on the shores of the Sea
comes the end of our fellowship
in Middle-earth. Go in peace!
I will not say: do not weep;
for not all tears are an evil.
"
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

»»»«««

»»»«««

Damon flinches at the sudden sound of a snapping bone, "I think your talisman is working."

"Not as much as being there would help," Bri states between groans of pain, "but it's better than nothing."

The vampire can't stop his eyes from rolling at the banshee's never-ending compassion—even when acting on it is to her detriment.

"You really are one of a kind," he remarks as another bone cracks.

"Thank you," Bri responds with a smile—which quickly fades as her femur snaps out of place and she drops.

Damon is quicker than gravity, and reaches the redhead before she collides with the floor, "Falling for me again? I must admit; I'm honoured."

Bri giggles with a roll of her eyes, "I hate you."

"That's not what you were saying an hour ago," the raven-haired vampire teases with a smirk, helping distract the woman from her bones popping in and out of place, "I believe it was, 'You're amazing Damon.' 'I love you, Damon'."

"Oh, piss off—I said no such thing," Bri refutes with a laugh as Damon picks her up bridal style and carries her towards the deckchairs on the porch, "I said that I have feelings for you too."

"And?" the vampire prompts with a smirk as he gently places the banshee onto one of the chairs.

Bri groans in pain before answering with her lips quirked up into a small smile, "And that I'd gladly be in a relationship with you."

Damon hums in satisfaction, asking after a few moments of silence, "Is it over already?"

The banshee doesn't have the time to respond—instead, her back begins cracking, and she's arching it in pain, unable to escape the agony of her vertebrae shifting and her spinal column rearranging itself.

"I'll take that as a no," Damon quips as he rubs his thumb over the back of her hand.

"Tyler must be in excruciating pain," Bri says with a sigh, "It's his first full moon without me there, and I'm not siphoning as much pain as I usually do."

"You're still siphoning his pain—a lot of it, by the looks of things—even though you're in a different country, on a different continent," the raven-haired vampire reminds, "You taking less pain than usual is better for him than you not taking any pain at all."

"When you put it like that," the banshee smiles gratefully.

Damon sits with Bri until the cracking and snapping come to an end, and then he's carrying the exhausted redhead up to the main bedroom.