Chapter Twenty

"I loved her
not for the way she danced with my angels, 
but for the way
the sound of her name could silence my demons
"
Christopher Poindexter

Bri's eyes open to the same dusty room from the night before, and as she sits up, she can only mutter out, "Please be nice, Nattmara."

Standing on the creaky floorboards, Bri looks around the room once again, not surprised when she notices the teddy bear collection covered in dust.
The banshee walks carefully towards them, trying to dodge any creaky floorboards.

When the blonde picks a bunny plush up, she's thrown into a memory belonging to her mother.

While pregnant, the red haired woman and her husband had been approached by a brunette woman, who warned them that their baby would be powerful and dangerous.

The brunette, who had told them her name was Kit, said that she would take the girl from them-  she could not harm them if she wasn't with them.

"Why do you say it will be a girl?" the parents-to-be asked the strange woman.
"Because only a woman can be as powerful as she will become," Kit had responded, "I will be back for her."

"Can we have time with her first?" the blonde man asked quickly, "I want to know that our baby will be dangerous before we hand her over to you to die."

"I will be back for her within seven years," Kit declares, "and I will have her."

Four years later, the red haired woman had knitted the three and a half year old a collection of teddy bears- of which some seemingly disappeared.

As the red haired woman knitted a replacement for the most recent disappearing plush, she asked her daughter, "What is happening to your toys?"

The young Bri shrugs her shoulders, and carries on playing with her other toys.

The following day, there was a knock on the door. The blonde man was at work, so the red haired woman opened the door cautiously, releasing a small sigh of relief when an older man is behind the door.

"Hello," the man greeted in Swedish, "Does little Brianna live here?"
"Why?" the red haired woman asked nervously- unsure of whether the man knew Kit, or if Bri had done something.

"I'm the pastor at Langbro church," the man explained, "and a few days ago there was a house fire- you might have heard?"

"Yes?" the mother prompted, wondering what Bri had to do with any of that.

"Well, the family whose house was burning were at the church; praying and receiving some donations, when a little girl wondered in," the pastor continued, "When I asked her what she was doing there, she said that the young boy who lived at the house that was burning needed her toy more than she did."

The red haired woman gapes at the pastor, disbelief evident on her face as the pastor continued, "So she found the little boy, told him her name, gave him her toy, and then left."

Spotting the young girl at the top of the stairs, the pastor called out to her, "Hello again, Brianna."

The young girls mother spun around, looking at the shy expression her daughter wore, before asking slightly angrily, "What were you doing walking to the church by yourself? Without telling me or papa?"

"He was sad," Bri said, "I heard about the fire, and it killed his dog, so I gave him my one."

It took the red haired woman a second before she connected the dots- the plush she was knitting a replacement for was a dog, so Bri had given the young boy who lost his dog in the fire her teddy dog.