Chapter Thirty Nine

"She has fire in her soul
and grace in her heart.
"
Anonymous

Jenna and Stefan arrive at the Salvatore Boarding House, Rose and Trevor waiting in the living room patiently.

As soon as Rose sees Jenna, she smiles kindly at her, "Hey Jenna. Are you okay?"

"A little shaken," Jenna admits as she takes a seat, Stefan moving to the kitchen to get the woman something to drink as she continues, "but I'm alright. Just glad Bri got there before Ric- rather Klaus broke through the door."

"He tried breaking through the door?" Trevor questions, his eyebrows shooting up in surprise.

Jenna laughs, "Yeah; and the first thing Bri did when she arrived was tell him that he's going to pay for any damage done to her door."

"She's utterly fearless," Rose grins, "Either that or she's gone completely bonkers."

"Whichever one it is, I'm all for it," Trevor comments, a smirk on his face.

✯✯✯

"How is it that you know the curse is on me?" Klaric questions the redhead sitting across the counter from him, sipping from her coffee while he swirls his glass of bourbon around.

"I had a vision... A very rapid and condensed vision of your life," Bri responds with a shrug, "Part of that vision was your first kill as a vampire, where you subsequently triggered your werewolf gene. And then your mother cursed you for her infidelity, suppressing your werewolf side; suppressing a part of you."

Klaric studies the redhead, and scoffs after a moment, "I don't want your pity."

"I don't pity you," the banshee corrects the Original, "I feel for you. It's empathy, not pity."

"You empathise with the person who will kill those you care for?" Klaric asks incredulously, "You're far more foolish than I thought."

Bri stands, understanding washing over her as she comments, "Maybe you're right, and I am a fool, but I'll never be someone who sees the world as black and white; and I never want to be."

Klaric looks at the fiery-haired woman completely discombobulated by her words, a notification tone from her phone going unnoticed by him

From: Blue-Eyed Demon
Katherine has been dealt with.
Sky and I are on our way back to yours.

"Sorry to cut this short," Bri apologises, "but you should probably be going; Damon and Skylar are coming home and I'm not in the mood to clean up any blood."

To: Blue-Eyed Demon
Awesome sauce!
I'm home, so I'll see you soon.

"Of course," Klaric stands, taking the last sip of his bourbon before thanking the banshee, "Thank you for the drink, and the charming company."