Cat Rodeo, Uno

Cat 

Coming from a working-class family, there was a time when to make a few pennies I would stack bottles and sweep the yard at the rear of the local Golf Club. If that sounds like fun, let me assure you it wasn't. For a 'Shilling', or less than a 'Dime', as it was back then, I also had to clean out the coal-fired furnace and by the time my work was finished, there wasn't much difference between my appearance and that of a Chimney Sweep.

At the behest of my mother who worked at the club, I was given the job ahead of what was a more willing and capable bunch of likely lads. Over time, the Golf Club became my parent's social hub, where they would sit, smoke, chat, and drink for hours on end. They became friends with the Club Secretary and some of its wealthy members, I'm not sure how. And to the best of my knowledge, they could ill afford that lifestyle, so I doubt they rarely bought a drink if every; as the astute old Secretary was in charge of the funds.

The club was located on the edge of the suburbs and merged beautifully with the surrounding countryside, and as you might imagine this sort of place would have its share of vermin. This was something I knew for a fact, having dealt with some pretty scary rats, whilst cleaning up the yard. The biggest deterrent available was the Stewards enormous cat, who roamed feral on the course. Her name was 'Penny', she had long flowing, ginger and white fur, and too many she was the most beautiful cat they'd ever seen. And among her greatest fans, were my parents who simply adored her and pampered her at every opportunity. At times it seemed to me that they treated her better than us kids, but then she never moaned, groaned and argued back or asked for pocket money.

 At times it seemed to me that they treated her better than us kids, but then she never moaned, groaned and argued back or asked for pocket money