Cat Rodeo, Duo

Rodeo

Rosie May, was the Stewards wife, what an amazing woman, she taught me to sort edible and poisonous mushrooms, and it became my responsibility to fill a basket daily, she then rewarded me with a man-size breakfast. We ate it seated around a huge solid oak table, it was the heart of the kitchen. I don't know how she did, it was tradition, all the Club's staff ate together, we were treated like family.

On one particularly wet and windy morning, probably about a year after my initial arrival, I was now working for the Club Professional but still collected the breakfast mushrooms. Even though a miserable day I still arrived full of expectation, with a basket full of freshly picked mushrooms, to find the door to the yard was still locked, so made my way to the Members entrance, how strange that was also locked.

Dumping the basket on the steps I went to the Pro Shop, the club professional who was always a last-minute arrival at the breakfast table was already in his office, surrounded by a group of rather forlorn-looking members, who'd arrived hoping for an early morning round.

Expecting to hear that the club had been burgled again, as it was a frequent target for some of the suburbs young rascals, who'd occasionally unload its 'One Arm Bandits'. I started to talk, but the Pro put a finger to his lips, warning me not to speak, now I knew for sure that something serious was up, he never treated me like a kid.

Our Rosie had been taken ill during the night, an ambulance was called, and it rushed her off to the hospital, apparently the Steward rode with her and neither had returned. It turned out to be a very sad time, for poor Rosie May, for she never saw another day and as for the Steward, well, he never returned. When they finally told me that she'd passed away, I felt an aching pain throughout my body that I could not explain. Breakfast around the kitchen table was never the same, she constantly moaned and groaned, even about having to peel the mushrooms. To be honest I never took to the club's new Stewards, nor did the cat and that's what led to Penny becoming our cat; you'll hear more about her as this story unfolds.

 To be honest I never took to the club's new Stewards, nor did the cat and that's what led to Penny becoming our cat; you'll hear more about her as this story unfolds