Cat Rodeo, Bare Back Riding, Trio

Riding

Rolling home from the pub late at night was Pops lifetime habit and it wasn't long before Penny was waiting for him to come home, she'd even walk up the road to meet him halfway, she'd taken a liking to his favourite ready salted crisps and he'd always save a bag to share with her as they strolled home.

In the winter she never failed to meet him, even in the snow and rain when she'd make her way to him sheltered under the hedgerows, she would be there without fail, even when he slipped and fell in the snow, she kept him warm while he waited for help to arrive. Mum, would never go to bed before everyone was home, he only had to be ten minutes late and she'd be in her hat and coat or send someone to investigate, which on this occasion probably saved his life.

Dogs didn't like Penny one bit, in fact, there was no love lost either way and she had a reputation for being a dog hater, the truth is she never really liked anyone other than Pops and my little sister, and barely tolerated the family.

In the February of 1967, shortly after Pops had his nasty fall, which was a scary time and we thought we were going to lose him, the Beatles released 'Penny Lane', that cheered him up and he swore they'd named it after Penny, you'd frequently hear him singing 'Penny Lane your in my ears and in my eyes', too her. The world is full of irony, he used to say he hated pop music, it's just a load of noise, and now I say the same about modern music.

Now we are reaching the end of this story, having been chased through the garden by a huge German Sheppard, she escaped onto the kitchen window sill, curled up and seemed to ignore him, that is until he turns his back and in a flash, she launches herself at him from the sill.

Gone with the wind, she's ignored his teeth and mounted him, her claws dig into his sides, he howls in pain, he turns and runs, she's now riding him bareback through the garden, like a cowboy at the rodeo, she dismounts at the garden gate, and nonchalantly walks away and appears to be wearing a smug smile on her face, whilst the dog, still howling disappears up the street.

Dedicated to Pops & Penny, Rest in Peace, 'Those Were the Days'.