We didn't know

"Hamish come on, we have to leave soon. Go get changed," John called from the kitchen.
Hamish, who was busily packing up the costume he was trying on, decided that it would be best to dump the pile somewhere, but the hat? That stayed. On his head, thank you very much.

"Dad?"
"Hamish please,"
"No but one question: was it true that you dated Aunt Sarah?"

John knew it was going to come one day: he couldn't avoid the awkward situation forever, so pulled himself together and answered the question.

"Yes, before papa and I got together."
"But why?"
"Because we didn't know we loved each other then"

Was that the best way to explain it? It was complicated: the only way to understand would be to read the blog. You could set a brief idea from there.

"Dad?"
"Hmm?" John replied, handling this conversation and getting ready to leave very well. Sherlock, who seemed ready, grabbed his coat and scarf, putting them on.

"Papa told me he knew."
John raised his eyebrows at his son, confused.
"Papa said that he loved you from the moment he saw you."
John, absolutely shocked and overjoyed, showed little of this emotion on his face. Instead smirked at Sherlock.
Sherlock was about disappear into a room, but hearing this, met John's eye after looking puzzled at Hamish. We all know why Sherlock told his son.
We also know why our little Hamish decided to ask his father about it, the rascal.