"Your an idiot"

Hamish was lounging in his fathers' bedroom, procrastinating bedtime by asking his them about their love story. It was honestly really cute. Sherlock, almost sliding off his chair, had his hands up to his chin, answering Hamish for every question he asked with respectable detail. He now and then looked at John, who tried his very best to ignore their conversation.

"Papa, do you love dad?" Hamish asked. It seemed like the entire conversation led up to this.
"Yes, I do. Very much so," replied Sherlock in a deep voice.
"And he loves you too?"
"Well we don't exactly need to say it to each other all the time to make it real, do we now?"
Sherlock realised what it meant when people said parenting is very different.
"Well yeah, I guess so," Hamish began, "the way he looks at you says more than enough." He finished his sentence with a small smile on his face.
"You know," Sherlock thought for a moment, planning his words carefully for the best result, "he does say it once in a while."
"Really? He does? I've never heard him!"
"I'm sure you have," Sherlock stated, "he just says it a bit differently than others"
From the bathroom, a muffled "You're an idiot" was heard, as a disgruntled John came and sat next to Sherlock, as Hamish and Sherlock smiled at each other.