Chapter Forty-One- The Wet Blanket

TW: Mentions of Past Traumatic Experience

.................................................

Once more Sirius felt like he had missed out with Remus...again. It was like the harder he tried to figure the boy out the more he slipped away from Sirius having any hope of understanding him. Not only had Remus gotten away with yet again not discussing himself, but for the next two weeks, he somehow managed to throw Sirius off-balance anytime a question about his past ever arose.

Sirius had nearly yelled at him after a harmless question of when Remus' birthday was, which resulted in a question about if Sirius had talked to Drommie yet. He did not appreciate Remus' attempt to constantly direct Sirius' questions back to Drommie, even if he hadn't talked to her yet.

Sirius hadn't talked to her about that, but he made a point of seeing her more, as much as she was willing to hang out with him over her friends or boyfriend. It resulted in them meeting once a week which was a big improvement from not even once a month. Of course, Sirius had to work hard to behave himself, at least around her.

When he was with his friends though, he would gag dramatically at the thought about what had caused Drommie's pregnancy, he knew enough to be grossed out. Also, Remus had to stop him several times from casually casting a curse on Ted Tonks' way when he saw him "coincidentally" in the halls.

"Oh please, Remus. Just a small curse."

"No, Sirius."

"But I won't get caught."

"It's not about getting caught," Remus explained with a sigh, his patience with the three of them nearly unending except for the rare times when he had none. Sirius was lucky that when he threatened to curse/hex Ted it had been at times when Remus was patient. He was pretty sure the 'non-patience Remus' who appeared at the most random of times would have whacked him over the head.

Sirius saw this look in Remus' eyes sometimes as if he'd like nothing more than to give his three friends a good shake. To be fair, they all deserved it.

However, at the moment his friend was merely very careful to make sure Sirius didn't attack an older student. Not because he was worried about either of them getting detention, but because Remus Lupin was just that nice.

Nicer than stupid Ted Tonks, anyways. Sirius was sure Remus would never get a girl pregnant. That was against the rules after all. Ted didn't seem to care for the rules; he was just a stinky Hufflepuff who better not hurt Drommie or there'd be hell to pay!

"I don't like him!" Sirius blurted out, for probably the fifteenth time that day as they stood leaning over the banister imagining the rather grotesque display of kissing that Andromeda and Ted were no doubt partaking in right this very moment. Well, Sirius was imagining it Remus was attempting to reason with Sirius explaining that it was much more likely that the older couple were in their classes at the moment than kissing in some closet. But anytime Sirius thought of his cousin he now imagined her slobbering all over Ted. Sirius' face crumpled with disgust.

"He's a nice guy, Sirius. You've stalked him on and off for nearly two weeks now," Remus answered casually with what seemed to be an infinite amount of patience. It was downright infuriating!

"And you've dodged my questions for two weeks!"

"And you've dodged talking to your cousin for two weeks."

Sirius wanted to scream in his face, but seeing how Remus often exhibited extreme restraint when Sirius was being obnoxious he figured he ought to show him the same courtesy.