Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen - Overprotective

Two days later

"Are you feeling okay, Amelia?" Nova frowns while setting down her cup of chamomile tea.

We are currently having breakfast in the greenhouse of the castle. Lazarus and Ivan had dragged us both out of bed at the crack of dawn to train together and while I had loved it, I haven't been feeling well since yesterday. It doesn't feel like anything I've ever gotten before, like a cold or an infection of some sort. This is weird, as if something is draining my body and leaving me with no energy.

"It's probably the early signs of a cold or something, don't worry." I lie with a smile before taking a bite of my fruit pastry the castle's cook had prepared. "Tell me more about your home."

She hesitates but continues with a heavy sigh when I reassure her that I'm fine. Overtime, her worried brown eyes relax and we talk freely about our homes. We also discuss my coronation ball coming up soon and what arrangements must be made. First, a notice will be placed outside the castle to announce the news and invite our people to join us for the celebration.

I'm extremely nervous about it all. Becoming a Queen is far from what I thought my life would end up being. I had always imagined myself working in my parent's pack back home as a nurse or in the city hospital like my mother once did. But now I've found my mate and I will be leading the people of the Lycan Kingdom alongside him.

What if I fail? What if I'm not a good Queen...a good mate? I think to myself as I worry my bottom lip. I don't want to disappoint Ivan so I vow to do the best I can. A hand squeezing mine brings me out of my stress laden thoughts. I look up at Nova and her sweet smile calms me down instantly.

"I know what you're thinking and you must stop. You will be a great Queen and I will always be here to help you." She pats my hand with a reassuring look in her eyes.

"Thank you, Nova." I pull her into a tight hug, wondering what I would do without her. "You've become my closest friend. I'm so glad I met you."

"I feel the same. Life was a little bit boring here at the castle before you came!" She grins cheekily which makes me laugh. "Now come, let's get this downstairs and see what the boys are up to."

She giggles before picking up the tray of food and I follow her actions. I stand but the movement must have been too quick because I find dark spots dotting my vision. I reach out to grab the table. I grip tightly as I start feeling dizzy and my heart begins to race. Thankfully, my vision clears slightly and I see Nova rush to me with a worried look. She holds me upright with her arm around my waist when I stumble slightly as her eyes become panicked.

"Amelia! What's wrong?!" She cries as she helps me to walk into the hallway.

"I...I d-don't feel w-well." I start shivering and feeling like the temperature dropped to the minuses.

"You're burning up!" She frowns as she presses her hand against my neck and forehead. "Call Ivan through the mind link. I'm sure he –"

I struggle to breathe and am unable to hear her anymore. What is happening to me? I think to myself in dread. My vision starts to blur again and there's a loud ringing in my ears. I feel my body trembling as a cold sweat breaks out on my skin. But thankfully, my hearing returns just in time to hear the doors burst open and my name being yelled. I manage to catch Ivan's panicked green eyes before my knees buckle and I fall to the ground.