Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One - A Hopeful Prayer

Ivan and I look at each other but instead of matching my curious expression there's a knowing look in his eyes and I realize that this must happen regularly. He sighs and pulls me along into the foyer before we turn left to a space that is their living room. While the exterior of the castle is dark and eerie, the interior of their home is bright with pops of color here and there. It's subtly modernized and I'm guessing this is Ayla's doing.

"Yes!" I hear Ivan whisper-shout before I turn to see him rush off to the two kids sitting on the carpet.

The children look up and I instantly recognize them as Lucien and Leila from the pictures Ayla showed me. Both tackle their uncle into a hug and their small hands pull on his clothes as they show Ivan their toys. I watch in amusement as my mate takes out two candies from his coat pocket and their eyes light up at the sight of them.

Chuckling, I look up at the sound of footsteps rushing their way up the stairs and I see Ayla. Asher marches down and meets her halfway with anger swirling in his bright red eyes. I frown in confusion when I see him carrying a purple bundle in his right hand. Ivan shrugs in disinterest when I glance back at him before he turns to the kids again.

"Why the fuck are all my clothes purple?!" He seethes as he throws the pile at her feet.

"I have no idea!" I wince at how bad Ayla's acting is. However, after a few moments of Asher glaring at her in silence she caves. "Okay, I spilled paint over them in the laundry room and the color didn't come out."

He pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration. "And why were you opening a can of paint in the laundry room?"

"I didn't want to make a mess in the room we're setting up." She defends herself while biting her bottom lip.

"Ayla..." He starts with barely restrained anger. "I covered the floor with sheets just in case, didn't you check?!"

"Oh...no." She grimaces when he snarls loudly. "Babe, I'm sorry! You know I didn't do it on purpose!"

"What the fuck am I supposed to wear to the event tomorrow?!" He glares at her when she wraps her arms around his waist but makes no move to embrace her in return.

"I'll make it up to you!" She bargains when he pulls away to pick up the clothes.

"How?" He asks with a roguish grin on his lips as his eyes roam over her body.

"By buying you new clothes!" She grins only to be smacked in the face with a handful of shirts.

Both look our way at the sound of Leila's squeal, their eyes glossed over with a protective and concerned glint before they relax when they realize it's just Ivan and I. I wave with a smile and laugh as Ayla tackles me into a hug. We had decided to surprise Ayla by visiting her home at the end of our tour so she was unaware that we would be coming. I greet Asher and talk to him about how our tour went as she turns to Ivan and hugs him with a bright smile on her face. But that instantly falls as she pulls away while her eyes search for something.

"What's wrong?" She asks Ivan with a frown on her face.

"Not here." He murmurs lowly as he glances at the children before his eyes catch the guards and maids walking about the castle.

Ayla and Asher look at each other before they ask two men called Corbin and Vito to keep an eye on Lucien and Leila. We walk into what I soon find out is Asher's office. Ivan and I take a seat at the desk while Asher sits opposite us with Ayla on his lap. I snicker when I catch Ivan pull a face at seeing his sister in the arms of her husband before snapping out of it when I nudge him with my elbow.