Fireworks

ARTWORK BY   @baberoeee  ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AMAZING JOB

This is a shorter one-shot, my apologies.

Also, the italics that aren't just one word represent flashbacks/nightmares

WARNING:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder-PTSD, angst, flashbacks, minor cussing

SHIP: Luztoye

SET IN A MODERN AU

~~~~~

It was July 4th, aka America's birthday and the one holiday a year that Americans truly lose their shit over fireworks.

Fireworks. Bright, flashy, vibrant and loud. Too loud. You can't sleep when they're going off. 

To some they sound like regular fireworks, to others they could me mistaken for perhaps a gunfire. But to our lovely sunshine George Luz, they sound like explosions.

Take cover!!

Get down!!

We need a medic!!

George dived to the closest thing he could call cover. He covered his ears and shut his eyes wishing, praying, that everyone was safe.

The sheets rustled as George tossed and turned every now and then, letting out a small distressed mumble.

Joe's eyes fluttered open to the feeling of George's constant movement and the lack of snuggles he was receiving compared to his usual snuggle chart.

Everything had stopped. George made his way to his friend, first sergeant Lipton, and filled him in on Buck Compton's mental state; "Fine?" He looked over Liptons shoulder and he felt as if his stomach turned inside out.

George tightened his grip onto his pillow and the mumbles became hushed slurred words.

"Take cover.."

"Everybody get down.."

Joe knew what was happening. The fireworks only seemed to have gotten louder and brighter. He sat up and the blankets slide off his torso. He looked at his sleeping sunshine. George's knuckles were almost white.

Bill got hit. His leg was gone. He was sitting in a pool of his own blood and..Joe? Oh god..Joe. George had blocked out every sound around him, all the people talking. Joe was hurt.

"George, we're home." Joe murmured while resting his hand on George's arm, tracing small shapes in hope to calm him.

It didn't work.

The slurring continued but they sounded painful. "J-Joe.." "I'm right here, Georgie. It's okay." Joe replied gently.

A white firework went off and lit up the room. Joe could see for the few bright seconds that George had tears forming with restless eyes. Joe gently shook George to wake him.

George's whole body jerked and he opened his eyes as tears rolled down his cheeks. He had a look of pure fear. No little sparkle in his eyes unless you count the twinkle of the fireworks in the water.

George is always so cloy with people. But everyone has their limits.

Joe took George into his arms and held him close while running soft fingers through the fragile man's dishevelled hair.

"George, we're home. You're okay." Joe murmured to him benevolently.  George let out a little mumble and snivel then dug his face into Joe's shirt holding onto it tightly.

Joe turned his head to the bright colours and loud booms.

"Stupid fucking fireworks."

~~~~~

LIKE I SAID REALLY SHORT.