Before the truth Chapter 9

Aaron

Joshua had arrived at my apartment to pick me up so we could drive in together. It was easier to use one one car because we almost always arrived and left together work anyways.

I was on the phone with my travel agent and it fell to him to finish cooking breakfast. He was a better chef than I was. His pancakes were always fluffy and that maple syrup hit the spot. His diet was better than mine and he had introduced me to the joys of eating chia seed pudding.

I had booked a suprise trip for Samantha and I to Thailand almost a year ago and the trip was in 2 weeks. But now Sam and I were over and I was trying to get a refund.

That trip had cost me a fortune just to make it right. I had gone all out to impress her, to make her happy, to give her that Insta-perfect trip she had always wanted.

The intention was to propose on the beach. Go as girlfriend and return as fiancèè. She would have loved it.  Samantha had always talked of having a destination wedding. I knew I couldn't give her that but at least I could give her a destination proposal. Sand and sunsets on the beach felt right.

The custom made ring had been delivered last month exactly 2 weeks after Samantha and I had finally broken up and it was burning a hole in my pocket.

The jeweller was willing to take it back at 60% of what I had paid for it. It was either keep it and give another woman or sell it at a loss. It stung having to sell it at a loss. What other woman, I wasn't ready to date again and that ring was money wasted now.

I had tried to get a ring that Samantha would like and most importantly show off to her friends and parade it on Instagram.  When her friend Cathy had got engaged, Samantha had spent the greater part of the month being jealous of those stones. I wasn't rich and I had tried my best.

The travel agent was refusing to refund me anything. The package I was on, now was no longer refundable.

"What are you going to do Aaron?" The scrambled eggs were delicious but I couldn't even enjoy them.

"I'm losing money either way. I just have to find someone willing to buy the vacation off me. Maybe I can get 75c of a dollar on what I've already spent."

"Sell it to me. Full price."

"What? Joshua, you don't have to. It's pretty generous of you. I know you feel sorry for me. But don't."

"No. What I mean is. Take me with you."

I chocked on the piece of bacon and had to gulp a lot of orange juice to recover. Was he serious?

"What are you saying Josh?"

"I've never been to Thailand before. I'll pay half the expenses so it won't be a total loss."

"Um...um..."

"I've never taken a vacation to Asia. I travel overseas for business a lot and never get to explore."

"Are you sure? You don't have to, you know."

"Yes. I like you enough. I can tolerate you for a week. What do you say?" I nodded.

"But, I don't qualify for vacation yet."

"If I take care of it, will you go with me?"

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Its a yes."

I was giddy the whole day. All I could think of was our trip together. Josh and I were going away. Just the two of us.

The moment I passed by Stacy's office after another long lunch with Joshua she beckoned me to her office.

"So I recieved an interesting phone call from Harry a few hours ago." Harry was our CEO and I had met him I think a few times. He was nice enough.

"About what? Does he need us to change something in the report? I rechecked those facts a million times before submitting it."

"No. It was about YOU dummy!!" I quickly grabbed a seat and looked at her. What had I done now to get on his radar? I didn't think he knew who I was. I hadn't done anything wrong.

"So I have never been one to listen to rumours but I need the truth from you." I was filled with trepidation. What rumours now?

"How long have you been sleeping with him?" I choked on my own spit.

"I'm not."  Her gaze was unwavering.

"I didn't have to say his name and you knew exactly who I meant!!" This wasn't the first time I had been asked about him and she certainly wasn't going to be the last person to ask about baseless rumours.

"Aaron, I've never cared about your long rooftop lunches or your visits to his office because your work is always done and quickly but a trip to Thailand!!"

"It was my idea!!"

"You are making the man take you there!! Seriously, Aaron? You are THAT sort of person, really?"

"I'm taking him there."

"Yet you claim to not be involved with him? Isn't that a bit overkill?"

"Its complicated Stace."

"I don't care who you date but as your boss I must advise you. You don't want to be that guy that sleeps his way to the top.

Why couldn't you date someone in your level? It had to be Joshua Reade of all people? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him. You just had to go after the 2nd in command."

"Its complicated."

"You know now that the CEO knows about you two you have to go to HR and declare your relationship. Are you really sure about the trip?" I nodded.

I was in love with him and I had made my peace with the fact that he didn't love me too.

But when he had offered to come with me that flame of hope had been reignited in me. I prayed and hoped that it would happen for us.

"Oh my god. You do love him right? Don't bother denying it. Your face says it all. Does he feel the same way?"

That was the million dollar question. I nodded. I wished it were true. She grinned.

"Who said I love you first? No. Its none of my business. Am I a bad person if I really want to know." She burst out laughing.

"No wonder Joshua has been nice of late. Keep doing whatever you are doing. Just hand over everything to Thelma and you are good. Don't forget to go to HR before the trip."

I nodded and smiled at her. Stace was good people. I really like my boss.