Chapter 17

Aaron

I had come to terms with it myself. I was jealous of Gabriel and Joshua's relationship. I had accepted it. Why couldn't Josh like someone more likeable?

This thing with Gabe wasn't a passing phase as I had initially thought. That Gabe was everywhere. I couldn't spend an hour with Josh without him calling or texting. All Josh talked about was Gabe. It was driving me bonkers.

I had disliked all of his exes but I had tolerated them. I had always known they were temporary and  his feelings for them for them weren't serious. They were also not as intrusive as Gabe. Gabe.

Gabe I was sure I was going to murder him one of these days. I hated that I couldn't voice my feelings to Joshua now about it. I should have put my foot down when it started.

With women in his life I knew it wasn't a competition for his affection. I  was special to him but with Gabe I was suddenly displaced and I couldn't do anything about it.

I knew that Gabe didnt have as much baggage as I did. It would probably be easier to be with him than to be with me.

"What's wrong?" I looked up when Joshua kicked the bottom of my chair. He placed his hand over mine. I tried to keep my expression neutral.

"Aaron. Talk to me." I still couldn't answer him.

"I know you dislike Gabe. Hey don't pretend like you don't. It bothers me a lot. I really like him.

I want my best friend to like my new potential boyfriend. I have decided to start dating him in earnest and I want you on board."

I couldn't stop my plate from falling to the ground and breaking into pieces.

So he really was over me? I should have seen it coming. They were really going to start dating. Huh. This shit with Gabe wasn't supposed to go on this long.

"You are right. I don't like him. I have tried to but I just can't. He's not good enough for you. Why can't you like anyone else? Anyone else will do. I don't want him for you. You can do better than that."

He jumped to his feet and glared at me. I noticed how white his knuckles were as he grabbed the railing on the roof.

"You don't get to say he isn't good enough for me, Aaron."

"I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't say anything to you."

"Right now, you are not acting like a good friend."

"Joshua. You don't have to date him. Why are you settling for him?"

I hated that we were yelling at each other.

"I'm not settling."

"You can do so much better. Why can't you see it? That man... isn't it."

"If I didn't know better I would think you were jealous of Gabe. Why would you be jealous of him? What am I supposed to do?

The man I want I can't have. Are you suprised that I have to settle?

I'm in love with you and it kills me that I can't have you. I am trying to get over you. Why won't you let me?"

"I never stopped you from dating. It doesn't have to Gabe though. Let it be anyone else, just not him!!"

"Why not? What's wrong with him? What is it about him that you don't like?"

Before I could answer, it hit me. I didn't like Gabriel because  for the first time since I had known him Joshua had strong feelings for someonelse. Feelings that didn't seem to be going away.