Chapter 1: The Meeting

Komugi felt excited for the task that was assigned for her. The queen is too generous to give a simple task in exchange of goods for her family.

            She jumped happily to the carriage and set her cane (for she is blind) to her side.

            The driver of the carriage looked at her. She seemed so innocent about the task she accepted. First of all, how can she, a blind girl, find beautiful, blue flowers? Does she even know what blue is?

The driver sighed as he looked at Komugi who was smelling the air with her clogged nose.

“Child,” the driver said with concern. “do you know what your task is?”

“Sure, I do.” She answered enthusiastically. “I just have to find these beautiful, blue flowers, don’t I?”

So innocent. The man thought. “Do you know that a monster is living on that mountain?”

“The rumor?”

“Well, all the people who went to that mountain never come back.”

“But it doesn’t mean that it was because of a monster. I don’t believe in monsters.”

“Hmmm . . . But let’s say it is really not because of monsters, your task is really dangerous. Aren’t you afraid?”

“Getting a flower is not dangerous.” She said calmly.

“But those people who don’t come back—“

“It’s okay.” She interrupted with a smile. “It’s okay if I die.”

The driver just sighed.

“At least there are lots of people that will live because of me.” She continued

“Just like gungi.” The driver confirmed

She grinned with the respond. She has never been happy when she was learning that people know about the board game. “Then you do know that sacrifices are necessary to win?”

The man didn’t answer but continued to drive.

“This one sacrifice will not be in vain; knowing that the rest of my family will live.”

When they came to the foot of the mountain, the driver gave Komugi her cane, a basket, and a bag of food. “That would be all, Komugi. I can’t give you anything else.”

“Thank you, mister. I appreciate your assistance.”

He aboard the carriage and prepared to leave, but he had compassion for the girl.

“So many years ago,” he said, “many people have been through the same task that you have right now.”

Komugi looked at the driver’s direction expressionless.

“None of them have come back.”

“I’ll be the first to come back.” She answered.

“I hope so, Gungi mistress.” With that, he leaved.

When she felt that the driver was gone, she started walking. She is looking if the road is safe by touching it with her cane and as she continued to walk, she is starting to feel that the road is getting harder. It was steep and rocky, and its diagonal path made it more tiring. She even slipped and hurt herself. Her face hit the ground and now it’s dirty. Not that she mind about it. However, her wrist, palm, and ankle were hurt because of the accident, and she lost the basket that was given to her.

She was panting hard when she decided to rest on a tree. She looked for water in her back pack and was glad that she had one.

She started to walk again when she recovered.