Chapter 5: The Virgin's Son

Snow seemed to cover the whole kingdom of East Gorteau as its surroundings were white. However, the white pieces that were falling from the heaven were warm instead of cold as these were ashes and not snowflakes.

            Three days had been passed since Meruem accepted the queen’s quest and since the eruption had stopped; but even Meruem’s shadow cannot be seen in the kingdom.

            Komugi seemed to turn into a crazy woman as she waited for him at the gate of the palace. She waited for three days neither ate nor drank, but no Meruem came. She was started to lose hope so she decided to walk to the well where all wishes are believed to come true.

            She reached it and touched its rim. Her image was reflected in the well’s water. She was nearly crying, but she was trying to hold her tears because she was holding to his promise.

He will come back. He promised.

But where is he? Thought of doubt asked her.

And with that question, her tear fell in the well’s water, making her image blurry.

“I wish…” She said between sobs. “I wish I could see Meruem.” Her tears continued to fell until she saw another image behind her image.

Green, muscular, short man with a hard shell on its head like a helmet instead of hair was behind her image. His eyes were magenta and he has a long, stripes tail.

Komugi was dumbfounded and she looked at her back for confirmation and there he was . . . standing.

She looked at him, and she slowly and gently approach and touch him on his chest. His skin was a bit burned and he smelled like he was barbecued but he was alive. Nothing was more important by that fact. He was alive and he was there with her. For her.

She felt his warm body. It was real. He was alive. It was become more real when he returned her hugs back.

“You’re here.”

“Yes, I am.” He answered. “I fulfilled my promised.”

“I’ve never been so happy before, Meruem.” Her tears start flowing again on her cheeks.

Meruem hugs her tightly and it was okay for her. It was far okay.

“There’s nothing in my mind when I swam that pool of fire but you. It is better to feel your warm than the heat of that magma.”

“Thank you.”

They shared a moment of silence. They don’t need to speak. They knew what the others feelings are. They just feel each other’s heat as they hug each other longer and longer.

Finally they disentangle from hugging each other and they look on each faces. Komugi focused on Meruem’s eyes and Meruem did the same when he noticed something.

“Komugi…can you see me?”

That’s when Komugi noticed it too. “Ha-hai. I can clearly see you.” She looked at Meruem’s green appearance. She observed his arms and hands and she felt it by touching it and closing her eyes. “It’s really you…” She opened her eyes again. “I can see you now.”

“But—how did it…”

“I wished at the well to see you, and this is what the well did.”

Meruem step back from her and Komugi was confused with his action.

“Why are you going away from me?”

“Aren’t you afraid, Komugi?”

“Why should I be? I long so much to see you. Why should I be afraid if it is my long time wish? Meruem, are you afraid that I would hate you if I’d see your appearance?”