Chapter 2 - Tests and friends

Hoku sat quietly in the back of the bus that was going to take him to battle center C, looking out the window and trying to calm down.

Apparently the person next to him had a very different idea. "Hey!" Hoku jumped and tensed up at the sudden and excited interaction. "My name's Kirishima, yours?"

Hoku hesitantly turned towards the redhead boy who had sharp teeth, speaking his answer quietly, "Kosiru."

Kirishima barely heard the shy boy but grinned widely anyway. "Cool! What's your quirk? Mine's hardening," The redhead showed off, his hand turning into a rock of sorts while the rest of his arm remained normal. Hoku opened his mouth to answer but it was drowned out in the hustle of getting out of the bus. Hoku gladly took that chance to escape. He ended up taking out his bandages as he stepped out. He quickly wrapped up his hands, managing even with the shaking.

Hoku shook out his hands and feet, trying to get rid of nerves. Exhaling a quick puff of air the boy started to feel his heart going, the nerves and adrenaline kicking in. "Hey," Hoku turned his head back to the shark toothed redhead with a tilt. "Good luck."

Hoku gave a shy grin and a thumbs up. "You too, Kirishima."

That was somehow amazing timing as (via plot convince) the announcer's voice echoed across the area, "GO!"

Hoku jumped, shooting forward from pure shock and fear. He darted past the other examinees, making a break for it down the main road.

"WELL?! THERE ARE NO COUNTDOWNS IN BATTLE!!! GO GO GO!!!"

The moment the word 'battle' processed in Hoku's mind all nerves and anxiety left his system, only leaving adrenaline behind. A crazy grin broke apart his shy expression, the only witness being an one-pointer who appeared from a side alley. It went for a left hook, nearing Hoku's face at a bone crushing rate. A mere centimeter before it connected something blew it back, leaving the robot wide open. Hoku grabbed one of the larger wires on the beast's neck, ripping it out as he continued running. Dropping the wire and ducking under the machine's arm Hoku left the thing in the dust before there was a sudden explosion.

Looking back and seeing the charred remains Hoku's grin turned near blood thirsty. Time to get down to business.

Hoku jolted his head up from his panting position on a three-pointer, blanching when he saw the giant robot causing the sudden noise.

He looked it over in a split second, his wide eyes landing on a giant zero. "The zero pointer," The brunette gasped, his adrenaline switching from exciting to fearful. Hoku scrambled away, his fear making him forget completely about his quirk.

"AHHH!"

His body froze, his head inching around to see a certain someone on the ground. Hoku couldn't go back, he would get crushed. But if the other stayed there his quirk could give out before the teachers ended the test. But Hoku couldn't save anyone, he was pitiful. His quirk was barely usable at this point, Hoku wasn't strong enough to face the drawbacks. But that kid talked to him... was nice...

"Dude! What're doing?!"

Hoku's sprint was undeterred by the other examinees, the ones who left one of their own in the dust. Bile climbed up Hoku's throat as he neared the one he wished to save. The other's ankle was completely cover in a giant purple bruise, probably sprained or maybe even broken. Hoku felt tears of desperation spring to his eyes as he stopped for just a moment by the hurt boy.

"Kosiru?!" Kirishima yelped, not expecting to be picked up by the shy green-eyed boy bridal style. Hoku didn't respond, instead taking a step back and away from the destructive machine. "Kosiru get out of here!"