fourteen: opportunity

A few days had passed since his meeting with Blue. In those past few days, Blue didn't say much, nothing more than simple good mornings, good nights, and how are you's. Although Taehyung, of course, did try asking questions, but they were avoided with mere apologies. And what bewildered Tae was that he still didn't know why Blue was apologizing.

It bothered him, as did their in-person conversation, from that silver bracelet to the topic of the black market. The mention of such a thing instilled in Taehyung a kind of anxiety he had never experienced before. Sure, he had always been paranoid of people secretly wanting to study him, but to know that there were actually people who had these sorts of intentions made him nauseous.

Don't worry, you don't have to worry about them, Blue had assured him at one point. He wished he could have rested easy at those words.

And he tried. He tried distracting himself with tv, cartoons and whatnot, whenever he had a little free time to spare. And, needless to say, he texted Yoongi frequently as well, as the boy's friend always helped to ease him at least somewhat.

But Yoongi was a busy man and couldn't text him constantly.

Late on this autumn evening, Taehyung sat alone on his couch, bundled up in more covers than he needed for warmth but he liked the feeling of them as he watched cartoons which surprisingly served as a good distraction from his negative thoughts.

He didn't check the time but he was sure it was close to 9 or 10 at this point.

There was a knock at the door. Despite believing he had suppressed his thoughts of Blue for the time being, his masked friend was the first thing that came to mind. With his covers still wrapped around him Taehyung crept over to the door.

"Who is it?"

"...uh, Jungkook."

Tae pulled his head back in confusion. "What? What are you doing here?"

"...uhh..."

Frustrated by the delayed response, Taehyung opened the door and prepared to fire the boy a reprimanding look, but stopped abruptly at the sight of him.

Jungkook had three bags on hand, two of which were duffel bags slung over his shoulders, the other a moderately-sized suitcase resting beside his leg. He had on the guiltiest expression, gaze avoiding Taehyung's own.

"What's with all this?" He demanded. Still, Jungkook avoided his gaze, his tiny smile present, but evidently forced. "Jungkook, explain yourself."

"Just curious if we could, you know, have a sleepover..."

"What?"

"...a sleepover..."

"No, I'm serious, what's your problem?"

Silence. Shameful silence.

"Jungkook-"

"I lost my job and got kicked out of my apartment."

Taehyung stared, wide-eyed and in disbelief. He could see that Jungkook's hair and clothes were quite damp, making Tae jump to the conclusion the boy had spent a lot of time in contemplation, possibly outside in the rain, before deciding to finally approach him. It was stupid. Stupid, cliche, and most of all Taehyung really didn't like how his chest hurt a little looking upon Jungkook's despondent expression right now.

"Get inside."

The boy lifted his head suddenly at the invitation. "Really? You mean it-?"

"Just shut up and get moving."