Day 01 - Second Chance

Cloud Recesses was just as quiet and calming as it usually was despite several faces who were not usually in there being present. The autumn breeze made not only the grass that become Hanguang-Jun's rabbits' bed danced but also the purple ribbon that tied the bun of the Sect Leader of Yunmeng Jiang Sect, Jiang Cheng. Jiang Cheng was one of the people who could rarely be found in Cloud Recesses. Not only that he was busy with all of the paperwork and task as the leader of one of the prominent sects and also helping his nephew, being in the place where his adopted brother stayed still felt weird for him. It had been at least eight years since he confronted Wei Wuxian about the golden core in that Guangyin temple, but everything was still fresh in his mind. It would be a lie, though, if Jiang Cheng said he didn't want to meet Wei Wuxian. He wanted to, but he didn't know what would happen if he really did meet this brother of his again. He still didn't know how to talk to him; there were simply too many things happening in his head for him to actually confront Wei Wuxian once again.

However, today was just another exception he always made. Today was another Annual Discussion Conference, and it was Sect Leader Lan's turn to hold it. No matter how hard or awkward it was for Jiang Cheng to be in Cloud Recesses, he was still a sect leader and attending a conference like this was one of his responsibilities. He also wanted to become a role model for Jin Ling. Despite his endless worry for Jin Ling, Jiang Cheng was happy with the fact that Jin Ling was a fast learner; something he knew coming from Jin Ling's father but would never admit it.

As he waited for the conference to start by himself since Jin Ling literally ran away with those two Lan disciples, Jiang Cheng admired the scenery in Cloud Recesses. He always loved seeing those mountains surrounding the Gusu Lan Sect's area; he had always admired it since his stay back when he was just 15 years old boy--back when everything was simpler . Jiang Cheng closed his eyes after glancing his surrounding for a while. The familiar scenery always tugged his heart and sent him to the calming state. The small pond where he, Nie Huaisang, and Wei Wuxian used to hang around was still the same. The classroom area where he always tried his best to beat Wei Wuxian's grade was also the same. Everything was the same except that he was alone now. Nie Huaisang had been keeping his distance ever since the burial ceremony while Wei Wuxian...

Jiang Cheng decided to walk around to take his mind off of the past and memories of his youth. However, as if the world hated him, Jiang Cheng met the very person he was still hesitant to meet. Jiang Cheng saw a familiar black robe and red ribbon not too far from where he stood. The other person's cheerful laugh still sounded the same as he played with a bunch of rabbits on that small mound. Jiang Cheng was about to open his mouth to call the man's name, but he quickly changed his mind and turned his heels around. However, after only taking at least four steps, he heard his name being called.

"Jiang Cheng!" Wei Wuxian's voice grew closer. "Jiang Cheng, you're here!"

Jiang Cheng turned around and saw that Wei Wuxian was smiling at him while hugging a white rabbit around his arms. The smile was not as big as the smile he used to show him back then--back when everything was simpler, and the two of them were still known as Twin Heroes of Yunmeng Jiang Sect. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath as he tried to distract himself again from the past. "What?" He scowled, not at Wei Wuxian but at himself for continuously being haunted by his memory.

Wei Wuxian opened his mouth and then closed it again. "How's Jin Ling doing?"

"You can ask him yourself, can't you?" Jiang Cheng sighed as he folded his hands in front of his chest. "You think I don't know that he loves coming to Cloud Recesses to hang out with those Lan disciples of yours?"

Wei Wuxian's smile didn't change as he tried to get closer to Jiang Cheng. "Because you're his beloved uncle!"

Jiang Cheng didn't answer him this time. A part of him was happy, though, hearing that Jin Ling considered him his beloved uncle. A second later, he decided to get away from that place. He knew it—he still couldn't maintain a proper conversation with Wei Wuxian as if nothing wrong ever happened. He wanted to talk to him again, but maybe now was not the right time.