Day 03 - Regret

Both Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen decided to enter the cave the moment they noticed that their only source of light was from the full moon, shining brightly from above. Upon entering the cave, Jiang Cheng let out a heavy sigh and a groan.

Suddenly, Lan Xichen exclaimed, "I can hear you, Sect Leader Jiang!"

That exclaim surprised Jiang Cheng as well, which made him turn around. "Me too. Just what the hell happened in that forest? And why can we hear normally here but not in that forest?"

Lan Xichen wondered the same thing as Jiang Cheng. "I'll try to look around the cave."

"No, no," Jiang Cheng immediately stopped Lan Xichen, "Zewu-Jun, you can rest for now. I'll explore."

"I'm still fine, Sect Leader Jiang." Lan Xichen took a step towards Jiang Cheng. He raised both of his arms as if showing that he suffered no injuries at all. "Or if you're worried, we can explore it together," he suggested. Lan Xichen knew Jiang Cheng was just trying to keep him from overworking his body, especially since this was the first time he was out in the wilderness again. However, for Lan Xichen, this kind of treatment didn't sit right with him. Yes, he might not be as strong as before, but he still could fend for himself. He could still use his power even though it was not as freely as before. He was still the sect leader of one of the most prominent sects in the cultivation world, Gusu Lan Sect, and that said a lot.

Jiang Cheng looked at Lan Xichen once again. This guy who claimed the number one spot of top cultivators still looked as fragile as the first time Jiang Cheng saw him after the Guanyin Temple incident. Jiang Cheng knew that he should never underestimate Lan Xichen at all--even in this condition, Lan Xichen might still be able to win should they try to spar. However, seeing Lan Xichen's condition tugged something in Jiang Cheng's heart. It felt like he wanted to protect the man who was now insisting on coming with him to explore the cave. He was not calling Lan Xichen weak, but fragile-looking figure always reminded him of his sister, Jiang Yanli. Jiang Yanli was one of the strongest women in Jiang Cheng's mind besides his mother, of course. However, Jiang Yanli had this fragile-looking aura to her that made both Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian always be on guard to protect their dear sister back then.

Jiang Cheng thought that instead of letting Lan Xichen roam around by himself, it was a better idea for the two of them to roam around together. Once again, Jiang Cheng nodded and agreed to Lan Xichen's request. As they walked around the cave, Jiang Cheng started thinking that his worry for Lan Xichen made him unable to say no to him in a way, making him let out another sigh.

After exploring the cave, Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen chose a spot to rest for the day. The cave was empty and there was no resentment energy that could be found in there. The two came to a conclusion that probably the tiger stayed in the forest that it probably only affected the forest and not the cave. They leaned on the wall of the cave not too far from each other. They hadn't used much of their spiritual energy, but all the travelling and being in an unfamiliar environment surely made them feel tired, if not exhausted. Jiang Cheng then took out several fire talismans and lit them up, warming both of them up.

"You're good at taking care of people, Sect Leader Jiang." Lan Xichen commented after watching Jiang Cheng's action. 'Is this because he takes responsibility in taking care of Sect Leader Jin since he was young?' Lan Xichen thought to himself as he smiled at Jiang Cheng.

Receiving a sudden compliment made Jiang Cheng become flustered. "You're the only one who thinks that way, I believe, Zewu-Jun," he said without being able to dismiss the pink flush on his cheeks. He meant what he said, though. If he was really good at taking care of people, Jin Ling would compliment him or at least compliment less of his paternal uncle for being kind and gentle.