Day 04 - Stolen Looks

Jiang Cheng found it strange how both Lan Xichen and himself shared something so similar yet also different at the same time. Not that he was happy above Lan Xichen's grief, but hearing his story was like a wake-up call for Jiang Cheng. Unlike Lan Xichen, Jiang Cheng still had the chance to fix something. Wei Wuxian was alive and pretty easy to be found. Jiang Cheng just needed to go to Gusu, and there was a big chance he could find Wei Wuxian there. Or he could just ask when Jin Ling would go for another night-hunt session, and there was also a possibility that Wei Wuxian along with those Lan juniors were with him. Jiang Cheng balled his hand again. "I...really need to do something about him, huh?"

Jiang Cheng glanced at Lan Xichen's sleeping face. That gentle yet fragile-looking face tugged his heart. He knew how much he hated being pitied, so he never bothered to pity other people. No, he didn't feel any pity for Lan Xichen, but he also didn't know what he felt in his heart. He still had his own regrets weighing him down from time to time, but he wanted to help this man. He didn't want the man who was asleep next to him to shoulder everything himself. Maybe all of the nostalgic feelings he got during his visit to Cloud Recesses reminded him how brilliant Lan Xichen's smile used to be.

Everyone agreed at how dazzling and stunning Lan Xichen's smile was, including Jiang Cheng. Jiang Cheng remembered the time prior to the Sunshot Campaign took place. He wandered by himself, trying to find Wei Wuxian before finally being saved by Lan Xichen. Lan Xichen brought him to Cloud Recesses, providing him with the help he needed. Lan Xichen was also the one who was willing to believe in him and comfort him with his soothing smile--a smile that almost resembled his father's and his sister's. Being believed in after the destruction of his sect and when everyone thought Yunmeng Jiang Sect was no more than a mere history meant a lot to Jiang Cheng. Not to mention Lan Xichen also brought him to the small gathering between sect leaders to discuss the Sunshot Campaign for the first time. Now that he recalled that time, wasn't it also Lan Xichen who told him that his brother was also looking for Wei Wuxian that he joined forces with Lan Wangji?

When Jiang Cheng felt Lan Xichen started moving again, he guessed that it probably was around five in the morning. The next second, however, Jiang Cheng froze in an instant. If Lan Xichen woke up and saw their position, would he feel awkward around Jiang Cheng? Jiang Cheng surely didn't want that especially after they just had such a deep conversation the night before. Just when Jiang Cheng was about to move away from Lan Xichen, his eyes met Lan Xichen's sleepy gaze. "G-Good morning, Zewu-Jun."

Lan Xichen opened his eyes wide immediately when he noticed how close Jiang Cheng's face was from his own. He bolted up, leaving Jiang Cheng's soldier which he used as a pillow all night long. He cleared his throat and said, "Oh, did I..." he looked at Jiang Cheng for a while before bowing his head, "I'm so sorry for using you as a pillow, Sect Leader Jiang!" Lan Xichen went panic in his mind. Did he really lean on Jiang Cheng by himself? Wait a moment, why was Jiang Cheng sitting that close from him? He then glanced down and found Jiang Cheng's outer robe draped his body, trying to imitate a warm blanket. Once again, Lan Xichen's heart felt warm. ' Sect Leader Jiang... '

"It's okay, Zewu-Jun." Jiang Cheng glanced at the part Lan Xichen had been sleeping off a minute ago before looking back at Lan Xichen. "The rock doesn't look comfortable at all, so..." he stopped midway. What did he want to say? So what? So he didn't want to see Lan Xichen stay in such an uncomfortable place? So he moved Lan Xichen to his shoulder and hoped that Lan Xichen found it a bit more comfortable? Since when did he care so much about Lan Xichen's well-being? Soon, Jiang Cheng felt his face grew warm as the pink flush decorated both his cheeks and ears. "...I uh, let's try to look around the forest once again." Jiang Cheng stood up as he tried to change the topic.