7th League: Sort of Friends

MAINGAY SA Arrivals kung saan tahimik na naghihintay si Iris kay Ryland. She promised to fetch him so there she was, patiently waiting for Ryland.

The last few days weren't the best days of her life. Noong huli silang nagkita ni Travis, hindi sila nagpansinan. Dinaanan lamang nila ang isa't isa.

Then, just today, she received a text message from Elerie telling her that Travis resigned from his work as AU's janitor. Siguro ay hindi na nito kinaya ang mga pangungutya ng mga estudyante.

She was hearing a lot of bad things about Travis ever since their last conversation. Pero hindi naman natatapos doon iyon. She was defending him from them judgemental students.

Mabuti nga at hindi nalaman nina Yuri at Alex ang tungkol sa bagay na iyon. She was sure if her two friends was made aware, she'd be dealing with irrelevant opinions.

She liked being with those girls but sometimes they were being too much and too much wasn't her style. True, she was a bit of a judgemental person, too; she was also rude most of the time but she was also considerate about few things.

"Finally!" Ryland said. He immediately pulled Iris for a hug.

"How was your business trip?" Iris asked. Ang tulin lang ng apat na araw na nagdaan.

"It was good. Pero hindi ko makukuwento sa 'yo. It's a classified information," tugon ng binata. "So! Let's eat?" Ryland told her and she just nodded.

Ryland brought her to a fancy restaurant just near the airport. Matapos silang maka-order ng pagkain. Ryland noticed that she was in deep thought.

"What is it, Iris?" he asked her. Nagisawan naman si Iris.

"Huh? W-Wala naman..." sagot ng dalaga.

"No, it isn't nothing. Come on, tell me." Ryland insisted.

Iris had a second thought telling Ryland about what was making her uneasy. But maybe she could share it. She didn't have to be detailed about explaining the entire story.

She heaved a heavy sigh. She really felt like she needs somebody to listen to her.

"Ganito kasi... I... I met somebody. We were kind of like friends but not really. Hindi ko alam kung paano ie-explain..." Napabuntung-hininga si Iris.

"No, go ahead..." Ryland told her.

"Basta... Hindi na lang kami biglang nagpansinan just because I sort of helped him," she stated frustratedly.

"Him?" tanong ng binata.

"Him?" Pag-uulit ni Iris.

"He's a boy, right?" Ryland asked, trying to confirm something. Iris suddenly realized that she was talking to Ryland. She didn't want to make him think that she was frustrated over something that involves a man.

"Him ba nasabi ko?" ani Iris at awkward na tumawa sabay may pahampas pa sa kamay ni Ryland. "Her 'yon! Her ang sinabi ko, nagkamali ka lang ng dinig."

Naguguluhang tiningnan siya ni Ryland at nagkibit-balikat na lamang ito.

"Okay. Well, I think you didn't do anything bad. It's her lost, I guess? You can't help anyone who doesn't want to be helped. Don't worry, if she's your true friend, she will stay," nakangiting sabi ni Ryland.

That was the thing! They were not exactly friends. Parang lang, ganoon. Hindi niya rin maintindihan.

Tingin naman niya ay tama naman ang sinabi ni Ryland. Hindi niya matutulungan ang isang taong ayaw magpatulong. Siguro ay hindi lang talaga siya gusto ni Travis.