28th League: I Forfeit

IRIS WAS standing in front of Ryland. She called him to meet her. She was trying so hard to compose herself. Sa isip niya ay dapat na niyang sabihin kay Ryland ang tungkol sa damdamin niya para kay Travis ngunit sa puso niya ay ayaw niyang saktan ang binata. Pero mas masasaktan lang ito kung patatagalin pa niya ang lahat.

Ryland was emotionally staring at Iris's face. He was trying to familiarize each and every feature of it. Ang babaeng minahal at minamahal pa rin niya. Tila hindi na niya kilala ito.

Hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa rin sila maayos ng kaniyang ama. pero patuloy pa rin ito sa panunuyo sa kaniya. He just couldn't accept everything yet. It was too much for him.

Napapagod na rin naman ang puso niya. Napapagod na rin ang buo niyang pagkatao. He didn't want any of what he was facing now. Mabuting tao si Ryland at hindi niya kayang tagalan ang magkaroon ng hinanakit sa ibang tao.

He had a feeling that everything was about to end anytime Iris decided to speak a word. Gusto niyang ipilit pa sa dalaga ang kaniyang sarili pero hindi na niya alam kung saan pa siya huhugot ng lakas.

"Ryland..." Iris uttered.

Wala pa man ding nasasabi si Iris ay tila may kung ano nang sumaksak sa puso ng binata. He could feel the hurt behind her voice. He couldn't stand it.

"You look so beautiful today, Iris," nakangiti niyang sabi.

"T-Thank you," nauutal na sagot ng dalaga.

"Do you think I can invite you on a date?" he asked.

"But Ryland, there's something—"

"Yes, I know there's something you want to tell me. Could you possibly save it for later?"

THE PLACE was quiet. Chirping birds could be heard all over. It was the most peaceful place Ryland had ever been. Nasa isang memorial park sila kung saan nakalibing ang grandparents ni Ryland.

He could feel the anxiety getting stronger inside Iris. She was undeniably uncomfortable but he was happy that she allowed him to go out with her.

"Do you still remember my grandparents?" Ryland asked.

"Y-Yes, I met them once in your place. They were nice people," tugon ni Iris.

"I couldn't agree more. They were the best people I have ever known. They really liked you. Kahit inaway mo 'ko sa una nating pagkikita when we were young," Ryland said, chuckling.

"Yeah, I was a brat back then," nangingiting wika ni Iris.

Ryland smiled as well when he saw her flashing her precious smile. It was painful for him to think that he really wouldn't have a chance to have her. But that was it.

"Is Travis really that good of a person?" he asked out of the blue.

Nabigla si Iris sa tanong ng binata kaya hindi agad siya nakasagot sa tanong nito. Matagal siyang tumitig kay Ryland. The man was just staring at the grass like he was spacing out but clearly not because of the mixed emotions that could be seen in his eyes.

"These past few days, I knew I wasn't myself. I want to punch that Travis. I want to be rebellious to my father. Whenever I feel like I am about to explode, I just stare at our pictures. You are my temporary escape. But those pictures are starting to get blurry each and every day," he said before drinking on his bottled water.

"Ryland, I'm sorry," Iris apologized. She began to have watery eyes.

"Don't apologize, it's nobody's fault. People have no control with what they want to feel. The past few days have been so rough. Travis began having the edge against me. What's crazy is that he isn't even exerting any effort. It's so amazing, I envy him so much," ani Ryland at tumawa nang mahina.