Chapter 2 - Arrangements

"So you come back unannounced after losing all contact and you expect me to just welcome you with open arms?"

Nessiah sat on Toni's mattress in her crowded room, watching as she paced back and forth in an attempt to make sense of the situation.

"Yes. But also...please," Nessiah said. Toni was the only person she knew she could trust right now. Regardless of the situation, they'd been close since she had come to her rescue when her brother had pushed her off of the slide in elementary school. And Toni was loyal, albeit sometimes too loyal for her own good.

Toni sat down next to the caramel skinned girl, analyzing all the features she'd grown into over the years. Her eyes had only seemed to grow darker, no spark visible as there previously had been, her 3B curly hair was now down to her bra straps and the thin-rimmed glasses she used to wear were replaced by contacts and a new scar, however small it was, had held position on her lip. She'd have to ask about that at another time.

"You don't have anywhere else you could stay?" the hopeful serpent asked.

"I don't," Nessiah shook her head. "I wouldn't be here asking you to do this if I did, Topaz."

"This is too much," Toni let out a sigh. "And I have so many questions for you, Nessa"

"And I will answer all of them to the best of my ability. But please just give me a chance to make things better." At the sight of Tony's distress Nessiah moved to comfort her, quickly being pushed back into her previous spot. "You know I would never leave you unless I absolutely had to."

Toni assessed what was happening. Their was no way she could just leave her out there to fend for herself, she wouldn't feel right doing it, but this wasn't the same Nessiah. The old Nessiah would've never abandoned her while she went off to explore.

It took some time for a final decision to be made but, by the end of the night, Nessiah found herself on the couch with the thinnest spare blanket you could imagine and a cushion as a pillow.

She tried to get as much sleep as she possibly could, tomorrow she would be starting her first day at Riverdale high school. And she just could not wait.