Chapter 1 (Redone)

Date: 2041
Location: New York City
Time: 2:43 PM

Today is a good day.

Thought many. What's there that isn't good? The sun is shining, the weather is perfect. There were no accidents or buildings catching on fire. There's no school shooting and there is no traffic jam.

Well, until something bad happened.

A large structure, looking like a cross between Greek architecture  and some fantasy novel appeared directly and instantly in the middle of Times Square, which caused the first car to see it to slam their brakes, starting what would be a massive traffic jam.

The car's driver angrily got out of the car to inspect the thing that had ruined his day.

"What the fuck is this bullshit?!" He angrily slapped the Gate a few times to see if it was him or the edible he ate a few hours ago. Soon, many others behind him got out from their cars to observe the structure too, taking out phones to take pictures and to record videos.

"It looks like a gate"

"Maybe it's a prop for some movie?"

"You idiot, why would a movie studio place their prop in the middle of the busy street?"

"Like that one time whe-"

"Maybe some fucktard youtuber?"

"What if some dinosaur and dragon came through the thing and ate us all?"

"You fucking high or some shit?"

Soon, a loud reverberating sound, somewhat like a horn, could be heard from within the gate. By this point, police were already all over the scene, and were trying to herd the civilians away from the area while putting up police barriers near it. Soon, the marching of men and the clip-clopping of horseshoes against the ground.

That's when an army of men wearing metal armor riding horses carrying an unknown flag brandishing metal swords and spears, along with some weird creatures including one that can only be described as a cross between a pig and a man, emerged from the structure.

And this time, It wasn't them who struck first.

"Holy SHIT!" A Police officer, perhaps a newbie on the team, opened fire with his pistol and, with the other officers already tense, started a chain reaction with all the police officers opening fire. Several pistols, assault rifles and shotgun rounds tore through the beastmen at the front.

With several unhuman squeals, the beastmen at the front were torn apart by a multitude of bullets. A voice yelled in an unknown language and the rest of the armored men on horses started charging towards the police officers. Several dozen were picked off in the chaos, as shooting at protesters and social justice warriors have greatly enhanced the aim of the police officers.

Unfortunately for them, guns have finite ammo, and it was only a matter of time before they were swarmed and impaled.

By now, most civilians besides the clout chasers have run away, with the rest hiding behind objects recording the entire thing on their phones, some live directly to the most popular sites.

____________________________________________________________________________

Mark was having a pretty bad day. His first stop is some cafe in Times Square, where he is supposed to meet another agent to talk about his next task. He rarely gets time to rest anymore, because life as a veteran Nexus Task Force Operative is hard. Between fending off assassination attempts from others who envy his position to his superiors intentionally trying to get him killed to prevent him from taking theirs, there isn't really any free time left between those two.