17, in which I remember home.

I had no idea what was going to happen. Had no idea who to expect to walk through the door. From my vantage point, I finally saw where The Phantom had left me.

     The show room. I had been here countless times, when the other singers had been shown off. It had the perfect acoustics for capturing any of us at our best. What confused me, however, was the fact I had never seen a hook in here. The pedestal for the baubles had to be beneath me, where it always was, but here I hung, on a hook that had never been there before. Did he really install it just for me?

     With no one around, I sang a bit of Beauty and the Beast. The room really did sound amazing. I hated it.

     I just barely heard the voices. I stood and waited in the center of the cage. The Phantom had made it more than clear what I needed to do for this. He also made it very clear that it wasn't me he'd harm if I was out of line.

     I had to be exactly what he wanted. A silent, pretty little songbird.

     The door opened, The Phantom inviting in his guest. I had to use everything in my power to not move when my supposed new owner walked through the door. The world around him seemed to shift, the color draining where he stood. His poised stance seemed to flicker at times.

     "Is there a particular reason you felt the need to be here to do this transaction?" he asked, his voice low and deep, rumbling in my chest. The longer I stared, the more I had to hold back my tears.

     He looked exactly like Phuong's friend.

     "Simply so you can see her at her best, of course," The Phantom responded with a wide grin. "This is the room designed for my songbirds."

     I shuddered at the thought and started to wonder what I would be forced to sing this time.

     "Why don't you show him, my dear?"

     I jolted, staring at The Phantom for a moment. He hadn't intended to give me one to sing? I hesitated, trying to think of every song I had ever enjoyed singing. My chest ached at a long unsung tune, one I had distanced myself with. But now? It felt like what I needed.

     I took a deep breath and began to sing.

    The valley green was so serene. In the middle ran a stream so blue. A maiden fair in despair, once had met her true love there and she told him... She would say, "Promise me, when you see a white rose you'll think of me. I love you so, never let go I will be your ghost of a rose..."

     I waved my tiny hand towards the musicians, unable to get out of my mother's arms to go see. She laughed and brought us over to sit and listen. When they were done, we both walked up to ask what it had been.

     With a laugh, one of the singers replied, "Ghost of a Rose. By Blackmore's Night." He knelt down, offering me a mischievous smile. "You really seemed to like it!" I nodded enthusiastically. "Ya'know? I bet if you practice a lot, you could help us sing next time!"

     My eyes went wide, and I started bouncing and tugging at my mom's hand. "Ma! Ma, can I!?"

     I didn't realize then how sad her smile was when she picked me up. "Of course, sweetie. I bet we can pick up the lyrics here."

     Her eyes believed in mysteries. She would lay amongst the leaves of amber. Her spirit wild, heart of a child, yet gentle still and quiet and mild and he loved her when she would say, "Promise me, when you see a white rose you'll think of me. I love you so never let go, I will be your ghost of a rose"

     I had to stop singing to focus on not messing up my mom's lipstick while we ate. I loved doing this, Mom was too tired every night to do much more. We always talked about whatever we wanted, and sometimes we'd just sing. I had gotten really good at my favorite song.

     "Oh! Don't forget," I said, excitement bubbling in my chest. "The concert's tonight!"

     "I'll see if I can get off work early," she laughed. "You're gonna stay at school for it, right?"

     "Promise."

     When all was done, she turned to run, dancing to the setting sun as he watched her. And ever more he thought he saw a glimpse of her upon the moors forever. He'd hear her say"Promise me, when you see, a white rose you'll think of me. I love you so, never let go. I will be your ghost of a rose"

     "Mom! He's letting me do the set!"

     She poked her head out of the kitchen with a grin. "You're at Martly's tomorrow?"

     I rushed into the kitchen, bouncing a little. "Yeah! He--" I hesitated. My mom looked a lot more tired and weary then she had ever been. It had gotten worse and worse throughout the week. "Mom? Are you okay?"

     She waved me off. "Just tired."

     I chewed on my lower lip for a moment. "We should get you to the doctor."

     "I'm fine, Irie," she said in her no more argument voice. Then, she smiled again. "So! What are you gonna be singing?"

     Promise me, when you see, a white rose you'll think of me

     "You gotta be able to do something!" I yelled, a thing I would regret that night.

     The doctor gave me a sympathetic look, wincing. "She's already said she doesn't want any treatment. And neither of you have the insurance to cover it."

     "You can't just let her wither!" I felt the tears streaming down my face, the fire snuffing out when I looked back into the hospital room. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought my mom was just sleeping.

     I love you so never let go. I will be...

     "C'mon," my mom said with a smile, her grip weak in mine. "You keep talkin' about all that when you're here. You should be singin' me Martly's set ya got."

     I hesitated. I wanted nothing more than to argue with her more, but I knew it was too late at this point. I tried to offer her my own smile, but I knew I wouldn't get my grief out. "He's lettin' me do Rose again."

     My mom's laugh turned into a light cough. "Always singing Rose. You should go back to the faire with that one."

     I rubbed the back of my neck with an awkward laugh. "I don't think I'll ever be good enough for that."

     Your ghost of a rose.

     The last haunting note rang out into the open air as her coffin was set into the ground, convinced the song would be buried with her. I stood as still as I could, knowing the moment I broke my stance, I'd collapse to the ground. Mom was really all I had, what was I supposed to do now?

     I was on my own.

     Ghost of a rose...

     I hated how beautiful it sounded here. How easily the notes came to me, the words a distant memory that reminded me of far too much. The room had captured it perfectly. It took everything to not burst into tears when I came back to reality. I could feel their eyes. With a deep breath, I looked back up to the two men beyond my gilded cage. My owner gave a very firm nod.

     The Phantom grinned. "Perfect."