18, in which I repeat

I lost myself in the memories that had surfaced, trying so hard to ignore the two giants discussing what my future life would cost. I held onto my mother's face, already feeling it slip away into the distance like it always did. The ache in my chest followed.

     "... Irie."

     My mind lost its thoughts as I heard The Phantom say my name, for the first time in quite a while. They were both still discussing things.

     "I don't know when you'd have an opportunity to purchase one like her again."

     The Phantom's words dug into my chest, and I felt the bile threaten to leave me.

     "Hm. Consider her claimed, though I will need time to--"

     BOOM

     I let out a silent screech as the two men in front of me jolted back to stare at the door. I could just make out terrified and angry cries from beyond the door.

     "Dammit," The Phantom muttered. "I suppose your little songbird is causing a bit of a stir. I do believe she'll be safe in here while I attend to that, however."

     "And how can you be sure of that?" the other growled. The anger that radiated from his face sent chills down my spine. I turned back to The Phantom to see him open up a panel in the wall. My heart skipped a beat, and I ran to the side of my gate, leaning out as far as the bars let me. I could just make out the numbers on the keypad as he typed something in.

     0 7 4 3

     "My songbird seems a bit too interested in you at the moment."

     0 7 4 3

     The Phantom confirmed the code before he looked at me with a devilish smile. "It's not like she'd ever tell anyone."

     0 7 4 3

     I lost my balance as the cage jolted back, into the wall.

     0 7 4 3

     I plunged into darkness as the wall slid shut.

     0 7 4 3

     I heard them leave beyond the wall.

     0 7 4 3

     Good. Sound traveled through it.

     0 7 4 3

     This had to be them. Didn't it?

     0 7 4 3

     I just had to remember.

     0 7 4 3

     I couldn't talk.

     0 7 4 3

     That didn't matter. I ran the numbers through my head with every breath, between straining my ears in the darkness. Something had to change, something had to be planned. I just needed to wait.

     My chest tightened. Would they even know to look in here? Did they know he wouldn't keep me in his own room? I shook the thoughts.

     0 7 4 3

     I would have sworn eternity passed. I jolted when something sounded beyond the wall, and the door slammed shut. I held my breath.

     "Shit, I didn't realize he ran that fast!"

     "Exact opposite of me... Hopefully everything else keeps him distracted."

     I burst into tears when I heard Nate and Matthew's voices. I clambered up to the edge of the cage, getting myself as close as I could.

     "What even is this room?" Nate asked.

     "Steph said he had rooms specifically for singers. This must have been one of them."

     I hesitated. What would even get their attention?

     "... You don't think she's in here, do you?"

     "Unless she's invisible right now, probably not," Matthew noted.

     I took a deep breath and belted out the first song that came to mind.

     "I'm just a phantom in your room, with no intent on leaving soon, and you're still not even sure just how I got here..."