21, in which we work together.

I landed hard on my stomach, only to bounce once and land on my back. I struggled to stand, but stopped when I saw the scene ahead of me.

     Nate scrambled to his feet as blood rushed out of his nose. He took one brief glance at me before turning to look at the Phantom.

     "You've caused me more trouble than you're worth, Nathan," the Phantom growled. A shudder ran down my spine at the sound. There was no facade anymore, just pure, indescribable hate.

     "Oh, good." Nate gave a half-hearted laugh. "I was hoping to piss you off."

     My eyes darted around the rubble. The Phantom seemed too distracted to notice me as I ducked out of sight. I didn't know what I was going to do yet, but I had to do something.

     "I'd almost say that Irie is the same, but she, at least, can be contained."

     My jaw locked, heart pounding. It wasn't fear that ran through me, but a blood boiling in hatred. I was done being his stupid little songbird.

     Nate let out a gasp of pain when the cane hit him in the side, and he collapsed to the ground. Face away from the Phantom, I caught his gaze. He must have seen something in my face, as the slightest smile crossed his face. He didn't have to worry about me, not right now. He scowled up at the Phantom.

     "Have to resort to locking people in cages these days?"

     The end of the Phantom's cane slammed into the ground near me. I stared at his hand, far above, his attention on Nate. I had one shot. I shifted a little to get ready, only to remember one crucial flaw in all this. I grabbed the hem of my skirt and slammed it against the sharpened edge of the concrete I was near, tearing a slit so I could move my legs. My mind muddled the conversation the two men were having as I broke out into a sprint. I leaped off the floor, catching the designs on the length of the cane. I paused for just a moment.

     The Phantom hadn't noticed.

     "If I didn't know any better, I'd almost say you were stalling for time," he noted, gesturing just enough that I had to cling to the cane to keep from falling. "I can't imagine for what, though. Mr. Patrick is rather tied up in his own issues at the moment."

     I struggled to start climbing. It was a lot harder than I thought, but shorter than I had imagined. Before I really knew it, I was at the base of the claws, his thumb just in reach. I stole one more look at Nate. He offered the Phantom a bit of a cheeky grin. "Besides, they aren't the only ones who can help."

     I pushed myself up, grabbing the Phantom's thumb, and bit down as hard as I could. For the briefest moment, I tasted blood, before I had to struggle to hold on as he snapped his hand back in pain. I saw Nate's vague shape bolt closer, just before the air left my lungs as the Phantom grabbed me. He had no restraint, his grip so tight that I couldn't breathe.

     He jolted. His hold loosened so much that I slipped out. I struggled to try and control my fall only to be snatched out of the air. The grip and motion were so familiar that I barely registered being on Nate's shoulder until I gripped his collar as he swung the Phantom's own cane at him. A familiar sight played ahead of me, but there was some morbid satisfaction instead of the horror of last time. The Phantom crumpled to the floor.

     "Left," I stated. Nate shifted the cane to one hand and ran.