What To Sell and What Not To Sell

I'll list some items that you should refrain from selling in order as it shows up in a vending machine or stash box, starting with weapons and moving to ammo. Again, this is all based on personal opinion and experience, so you do whatever you'd like. This is only specific to the trader/scrounger build that I've come up with, and to make the max amount of caps while saving space in your storage.

WEAPONS:
Never sell anything below level 40. Selling weapons is probably for more experienced players, seeing as how you'll only get level 40 weapons when you're close to level 40 or doing an event/mission that will give you "high end" loot. I would go as far as to say don't sell any weapons at all, because they're extremely hard to sell if they're not Legendary quality. Now that scrips are a thing, most people rely on using those to get Legendary guns anyway. So if you're going to sell weapons, make sure they're a) level 40 or above, b) at least one star legendary, and/or c) a hard-to-find or usually expensive weapon (like the gauss rifle or deathclaw gauntlet for example).

APPAREL:
There are two types of apparel; clothing, and armor. Keep in mind that both will show up on the map as "armor" when you hover your cursor over your camp, so it's hard to tell what apparel someone is selling until you go to visit that shop. When it comes to armor, the same rules apply as they do for weapons. Nothing below level 40, at least one-star Legendary status, and hard-to-find. I'd say the only exceptions would be scout armor or power armor. Keep in mind that power armor takes up a huge chunk of your stash box's capacity, ranging to about 20 units of storage. Remember, the more common the armor, the cheaper you should sell it for. Clothing, however, is a different story. You should only sell clothing that is high demand, hard to find, or from an event. Event clothing is usually high in price.

____________________

TRADER'S TIP:
If you think it's garbage, someone else will think it's garbage. Don't bother trying to sell something no one will buy!

____________________

AID:
When it comes to Aid, there's very little that you can't sell. The two most important items you could sell is purified water and chems. More importantly, restorative chems like Stimpaks or RadAway. Healing Salves (if/when you can craft them) are also good to sell. The only food you should sell, however, is prewar food. Cooked food goes bad in the vending machine because it still counts as a stash item. If cooked food didn't go bad in the vending machine, it would be considered exploitable and players WILL use this tactic to cheat and have a surplus of food forever. Therefore, I don't see Bethesda adding a way around this anytime soon. Keep in mind, however, that cooked food is something you should keep for yourself as it is easily obtainable. Sell the prewar food, eat the cooked food. Nice and simple. If you want to steer clear of selling food at all, however, that's fine, too. It will leave you more room in your vending machine for chems and water. Never sell boiled or dirty water, either, as both of those are extremely unhealthy and (again) easily obtainable.

MISC:
The only Misc. items you should sell (in my opinion) are Gunpowder and Technical Data. I have even seen people go as far as to sell excess Nuclear Key Cards. Otherwise, your Misc. section should be empty.

HOLO:
There is no reason you should sell a Holotape. End of discussion.

NOTES:
You shouldn't waste your time selling treasure maps. Most people don't care about them, and you get so many of them from dead scorched that you wind up dropping them anyway. To be honest, most people are just too lazy to try and find the treasure when there's not a mission marker pointing them to the exact location, so they're ultimately useless. What you should sell are plans and recipes. I believe recipes should be cheaper than plans since they're just for cooking different types of food, but people are obsessed with collecting all the plans they can find. The most common plans but also the most sought after are furniture plans. If you want more of these, simply do events or defend workshops. You'll get a ton of them in no time and you can sell them for cheap.

JUNK:
When Bulk junk is available, just sell that. Most people will see anything other than bulk as overpriced or not worth the caps. At least with bulk, they know they're getting more than one for a single purchase. And let's be honest, something like "wood scraps" isn't even worth a whole cap when you can literally find it all over the forest. Harder-to-find and harder-to-keep junk should be sold for more, but be careful not to overprice these. Shop around and see what other vendors are selling theirs for if you want to get a good idea. As a side note, some things you could sell that won't come in bulk is ballistic fiber, ultracite scraps, circuits, etc. Just remember not to completely burn through your junk stash by selling it all. You're going to need some of that junk, too, and unless you want to spend the entirety of the game just searching for junk, you should keep a good amount just for you and your needs.

MODS:
Most mods are garbage; sorry to say. It'll be hard to find someone who'll buy a mod for a baseball bat, wrench, or pipe pistol. Throw away cheap mods. Why? Because there are so many different types of mods, you should save room in your vending machines for the good ones. If it's something you can easily sell for over 50 caps, then keep it.

AMMO:
Here's the tricky one. I suggest not even selling things like railway spikes, syringer ammo, 10mm bullets, or crossbow bolts. And here's why: no one uses the guns that these types of ammo belong to. The ammo is barely worth one cap apiece, and you'll never get rid of it. Before you know it, you'll have 3,000 syringer ammo and 560 10mm ammo. It's simply trash at this point. What you'll want to sell more of is fusion cells, plasma cartridges, 2mm electromagnetic cartridges, .308 bullets... anything that can go into a highly-modded rifle, basically. Energy and ballistic ammo will be your best bet to turn a profit here.

____________________

TRADER'S TIP:
Keep your vending machines neat and tidy. Strictly keeping junk in one vending machine and chems in another will help other players buy what they want easily and get in and out of your camp quickly. Go as far as to label your vending machines if/when you unlock plans for signs or letters.

____________________