Pilot

The dust specks floating in front of your nose seemed more interesting to you right now than the speech about what kind of tanks were used in the second world war.
Sadly you needed to at least try to pay attention to the man talking in front of the class since you weren't an academic genius and needed to listen to Mr.Strickler go on and on about the outdated war machines in order to have a chance at passing this class.

Exams were going to be soon since the first semester was almost over. Only three weeks left till winter break and a whole bunch of exams -along with some side dish anxiety- to overcome till then.

A soft sigh left your lips while you typed notes into the laptop provided by the school. It was a wonder that such a little and unimportant town had such a well equipped school.

The noise of students chuckling reached your ears but you didn't pay any attention to it. Regular teens your age were usually laughing about anything but you had grown up to be quite mature. Also being one year older than the rest, you had stopped bothering with all of them.

Well, almost all of them.

There were two exceptions of students that you still had contact with, one pleasant and the other not so pleasant.
The pleasant one was Thomas Shyer, a thin boy with messy black hair and the tendency to trip over thin air. He had been friendly to you no matter how cold or disinterested you retorted so you figured it wouldn't hurt to have somewhat of a friend in him.
He often helped you with school, when you didn't understand something or had any questions. His company during the breaks was also quite welcome.

The less pleasant exception was Steve Palchuk, the infamous jock of the school. He usually tried to bully you and no matter how many times you ignored him, he just wouldn't give up. You didn't know why he was so keen on upsetting you, after all you had never really done anything to get in his way.
Perhaps it was because you were better at sports than he was? For the tall blond such a petty reason must seem fitting enough to annoy you.
After all, nobody was better than the one and only Steve Palchuk.

Your eyes wandered from the laptop's screen to the back of the blond's head, simply staring at it for a moment. Then you shook your own head and switched your vision to the chubby Tobias, who was typing away at his laptop a few seats to the left.
Almost ten years ago you had been friends with him and his lanky friend Jim but with time and other circumstances you had grown distant.
Now you barely talked anymore, in fact, it was always pretty awkward to be in the same room now. Another reason why it was nice to have Thomas around. He usually kept you occupied, letting you avoid the two diverse friends without trouble.

The rest of the students were probably intimidated by you.

It wasn't like you blamed them.
You did always seem to glare at everything that passed before you, never smiled or much less laughed and kept quiet unless it was to contribute to the class you were in.
Oral grades were pretty important after all.

"Ms.(L/n)?"
The voice of Strickler broke you away from your mental ramble, making you look up to the grey-haired man that stood before your table and looked down at you with an expecting face.

You must've forgotten to listen to him.
Oh, well.

"Wouldn't you say the same?"
The answer came without an ounce of hesitation or shame.
"I wasn't listening. Could you repeat yourself?"
Some of your classmates snickered -or gasped- at the blunt response but you only kept on staring up to the teacher with a blank look on your young yet incredibly tired face.
He seemed just as relaxed as you as he sent you an amused but also scolding look.
"Being honest is a fine trait but you should watch whom you spend it on, (L/n). They might not be as forgiving as myself." The latter part was spoken with a smile, directed at the entire class, which earned him another round of chuckling.
Strickler turned his slender back to you, wandering to the front of the room where he had come from in the first place.
"As I was just saying," the same scolding look from before was thrown your way before he went on with his lesson casually.
The green-eyed man seemed to have a soft spot for you from the moment you had first talked to him.
Why? You didn't know but having a teacher go easy on you was pretty convenient so you weren't about to complain.