Extra: Spectator

((This Extra takes place simultaneously to Chapter 12))

-----
-----

Being a changeling under Gunmar's -more or less- direct control could be exhausting.
He not only had his duties from his human life to take care of but also the tasks from Gunmar on top of that and the singular-braincelled Bular at his heels almost all the time.

How many times did Nomura call him to let him know that Bular had once again set out to drag away some human into his hideout? Even the day when he was tutoring (Y/n) before school started again. Although he didn't care at that point anymore.

There was already a small mountain of skeletons in the warehouse after all.
One or two others didn't make a difference to him.

Keeping that brute in check took Stricklander's full attention sometimes. There were moments when he felt the need to stuff that stinking mouth of his and leave him in the sunshine to turn to stone so that he'd finally have some peace.

But he knew he couldn't do that.
Gunmar would have his head.

He also needed the black gumm-gumm to do the fighting for their cause since he couldn't expose himself just yet.

That one time in (Y/n)'s backyard had been close enough. He still feared she'd recognize his voice at some point. The girl wasn't the smartest at times but she had a good intuition after all.

Some days, he thought about what she could have been had he taken her under his wing back then.
She would've made for a great fighter with her knowledge in teakwondo. From what Coach Lawrence mentioned toward him, her body adapted quickly to new sports as well.

But her humanness probably would've been an issue.

Shaking his head lightly, the slender man leaned against the tree he was standing below.
Attention was required now.

With a flash of green light, his human appearance shifted into that of a tall and slim troll with green skin. The collar of his cloak was high and lined with knifes, partially hiding some of his face in the dark.

His yellow and red eyes peered through the night and at the girl sitting on her porch.

He still couldn't get over the fact that she was the human Bular had wanted to hunt.
Back when the prince first talked about some kind of pet that the trollhunter had gotten, he didn't dare to dream that it was one of his students, let alone (Y/n).

This girl really was a trouble-magnet. He could already smell the disasters to come.

Watching in complete silence as the trollhunter entered the backyard and the two greeted each other, Strickler couldn't help but frown.

Couldn't she have just been another normal human that didn't know about any of this?
It would've made things so much easier for everyone involved.
What was he supposed to do when she found out about his true nature? Kill her?
Probably.
But that would be such a waste for all his hard work in the past. He had made sure she stayed alive back then only for her to get right on top of Bular's kill-list now.

Sometimes he wondered if she did that on purpose.

The changeling moved his slender body in the shadows like a fish in water, making not even one sound as he followed the trollhunter and the human into the woods at a safe distance.
He overheard them talking and was astonished to notice that they were using Trollspeak.