Part 2 - Chapter 6

6

'You're lucky,' I said. 'If you got caught, you would've been toast.'

'Yeah . . .' Chris said.

We all looked at each other, not really knowing what to say.

Finally Matty split the silence: 'Ho-ly shit!'

We all broke out laughing, and then babbled in every direction at once.

'I wonder what she's found!' Chris said.

'I wonder how much it's worth!' Matty said.

'I wonder what's missing!' I said.

'It sounded like she's lied about finding things in the past.' Chris said. 'Did you get that?'

'Yeah, that was weird,' I said.

'But it seems like she really did find something this time,' Matty said. 'Your dad saw it with his own eyes.'

'Not exactly,' Chris said. 'He mentioned that she hadn't found everything—whatever that meant.'

'Maybe that's the real reason he wants police to protect the site.' I said.

Silence returned and we all sort of fidgeted, Matty reading his magazine, Chris packing a bowl, me staring out the window, drifting. Then I had an idea. An idea more exciting than a pretty girl and dumber than a squashed bug. An idea that was far from doable, but (I had in that short time made up) was damn well worth trying. I couldn't help myself, really.

'We should sneak into the site.' 

[ Note to Reader: Please remember to vote and comment :) ]