Part 2 - Chapter 25

But I couldn't cool it. My heart was beating too hard. I couldn't look at anyone. I just needed to be by myself. I needed to calm down. I shouldn't have smoked that weed. It's not me. I'm not a night person. I'm a morning person. I like biking and adventures and books. Not weed, not parties, and definitely not economics degrees. Is there a place in the world for people like me?

The fire crackled and popped. I poked it with a branch, tossed the branch in, and then got up to toss a few more branches in. The flame grew. The fire was real hot. I sat back down, my hands smelling of ashes.

'Does it bother you that your friends went to university and you didn't?' I asked Mike.

'No,' he said.

'C'mon, man, not at all?'

'Not at all,' he said. 'I'm happy for em.'

'But what about you? They're doing stuff that everyone respects and you're . . . well, you know . . . you've chosen an unconventional route.'

'I don't let that stuff bother me,' he said.

'Sometimes you can't help it, though. Sometimes, you can't help the way you feel.'

'I dunno, man . . . In life, man, in life, everyone thinks they know what you should do. But, you know what, they don't. No one does. You've just got to do what's right for you. That's the key, man.'

'I agree,' I said, laughing. 'But it's hard to buy in. I mean, aren't you embarrassed when—well, I mean, you dress like an idiot, so clearly you don't get embarrassed easily—but don't you get embarrassed, living in your parents' house, writing about your trip, when you could be where your friends are?'

'Hey, dude, I define it for myself. That's it.'

'Don't you ever want what they'll have? A nice house, a job, a family? Be someone who people respect, who your kids respect?'

'I think you need a little more self-respect, little dude.'

'I think you need a little less,' I said, smiling.

The night carried on and so did the partying. We passed around a bottle of tequila like we did the joint. When partying, there's a line you cross. a line where you just stop caring, a line where you just go for it. Well, I crossed that line. I was getting drunk.

'Hey, Mike,' I began again. I don't know why, but this guy fascinated me.

'Yeah, dude?'

'Do you have any dreams?' I asked.

'Sure.'

'What are they?' I asked.

'Well, I want to publish my book, and I want it to be a best-seller, to change people.'

'Me too,' I said.

'And,' he continued, 'I want to live on an island somewhere, man. Somewhere with sand. That'd be it.'

'Think you'll ever get there?'

'Hope to,' he said. 'There are so many cheap beach properties, like Costa Rica, man. I just hope my book goes well. I sent it to a few publishers. Still waiting to hear back.'

'How many people in the world, Mike, do you think?'

'Dunno, man.'

'Six billion, I think. Maybe a little less.' I said

'What's your point?'

'How many people were ever in the world, since the beginning of time?'

'Well, shit, man, no clue. Why?'