Part 2 - Chapter 12

12

We walked without speaking. I didn't know what to say, exactly. I didn't want to talk about myself. But I was also in a hurry.

Eventually, I decided: 'So, how's the garden coming?'

'Oh, it's coming,' he answered. 'I popped by May's Flowers a few times after work. Their hydrangeas are big and healthy. I asked May if they would ever go on sale. She said she wasn't sure, but if they did, they would at the end of the month. So I waited. Then, last month, they went half off. I bought six—four for us, two for Mrs. Anderson. I'm planting them now.'

'That's great Dad.' I said.

Did I say my dad was a master? I'll explain, in case you don't understand. I mean, I wouldn't either, if I hadn't lived with him my whole entire life.

What my dad's doing—this move, here—is discussing his boring life so much that I can't help but talk about mine. We didn't go walking to discuss hydrangeas. He just makes it seem that way. Worse, he'd spend the whole walk like this, if I let him. It's a sick game of chicken.

'Great find, Dad. It's generous of you to get hydrangeas for Ms. Anderson.'

'She's helped a lot, you know. When we visited England, she looked after the house.'

'Mm, Cool. Look, I really have to go. We have big plans. Also, can I sleep at Chris's for the next little while? I'm not sure how long, exactly.'

'If you want. How is Chris?'

One of the best things about my dad is that he's trusting. When I tell him I want to do something, he lets me. No questions. I think I learn more that way—ya know, without a leash. I make more mistakes too. I bet he'd let me take acid, if I said I wanted to experiment or something.

'Chris is good,' I responded. 'He's applying to the top schools in the States. He thinks he's gonna go to Columbia. His dad went there.'

'Good for Chris. He comes from a bright family. What about Matty?'

'He's good, too. He's gonna work for a tech start-up in Toronto. He's interned there for two summers already.'

'Very cool. You have capable friends...And how are you doing?'

'I'm okay. To be honest, I'm worried about not applying to university.'

'Why aren't you applying?' he said, coolly. 'You have the grades.'

'Yeah. Not as good as Chris's. I couldn't go to a top school in the States, I mean.'

'So what? We couldn't afford to send you.'

'I know, I don't want to go to school anywhere. I'm just saying, if I got into Columbia, or, like, Harvard, then it'd feel more worthwhile. You know?'

'Why is going to university nearby not worthwhile?'

'It is, just not for me. Mostly everyone in Kinnard goes to school nearby. I don't want to end up like everyone in Kinnard. I wanna do something different.'

'What about me? I run the grocery store, provide for my family, play squash a few times a week. Not so bad, huh?'

'Dad, it's great. Just not for me. Anyway, you grew up without money, so you had no choice. I have a choice, so I don't wanna do just anything. I wanna do something different, bigger, I dunno, purposeful. There are people I read about . . . You listen to Bob Dylan, for instance. Did you know that he came from a snowy town, even smaller than Kinnard? Then he dropped out of university, and moved to New York. Just like that.

'You want to be Bob Dylan?' My dad said, laughing.

'No, I don't want to be Bob Dylan. He's an example! There are tons of people who do something different—who aren't, you know, Bob Dylan.'

'What about teachers?' He said. 'They change students' lives. That's meaningful. Or engineers? They do meaningful work, too.'

'Yeah, I know. I don't know. I think I just need time to figure it out myself. Is that okay?'

'Of course.'

'Thanks.'

'Listen, Lawrence. You're still young. Life can be harder than you know. Your job is to not drown. Head above water. That's it. In my opinion, the small things count more than the big ones, anyway. Like warm weather, a long walk, or a good sale on big, healthy hydrangeas. So just keep treading, okay?'

'Okay.'

'I love you, Lawrence. Your mother and I are very proud of you.'

'I love you too, Dad. Can I have the keys to unlock my bike now?'

'Yupp,' he said, tossing them to me. 'Have fun at Chris's.'

'Thanks!' I shouted, as I ran back to the house.

I had only ten minutes to meet the guys. But as I pedaled my brains out, I realized that my dad didn't bring up the divorce. Not once. I guess even he would rather not discuss some things.       

[ Note to Reader: Please remember to vote and comment :) ]